1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email client that doesn't download email?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mattig89ch, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattig89ch

mattig89ch Thread Starter

Hidy ho all,

I wanted to set up an email client that acted a bit like my phone handles email. Downloads the new ones, lets me choose what to do with them (read them, delete them, mark them as special or something) but then simply uploads the instructions to the server without actually deleting them from the server. Is there an email client that does this?

2. mattig89ch

Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't actually started using an email client as of yet.

I was wondering if there was a specific email client that acted as a means of accessing your email in one place without deleting the email on the server(s).

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Quite a few email web sites will collect emails from other addresses.
    What email addresses do you use? Only mention what is after the @ sign, no need to type in full email addresses. (examples: yahoo, juno, verizon, comcast, gmail, outlook, live, aol)

4. mattig89ch

I have 3 gmail address (school, work, the one required for youtube), a yahoo address (my main one), and a hotmail address (mainly for games for windows live and skype).

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I can't think of any email clients that DON'T have the option to leave messages on the server.

I'm not sure what you want.
    If it's just consolidating your accounts in one place and you like using webmail, then you can do as Plodr "Liz" said and have Gmail collect everything.

If you want the messages on your computer, you can use a client and select to leave copies of messages on the server.
    To me, the main advantage of a client over webmail is you have the control over the display and composing and you usually have far more options for both.
    Webmail tends to change the look and what you can do every so often.
    You have the options of POP mail or IMAP.
    POP downloads the mail (leaving copies on the server in the Inbox) and you set up you folder structure in the client.
    IMAP is a direct view of the webmail and what you do on the computer will be duplicated in the webmail. Ex: moving a message to a different folder in the client will also move it in the webmail to the matching folder there.
    IMAP works out better if you use different computers to access mail.

My preferred email client is Thunderbird.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice