1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email Client

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bkford, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

It seems like this may not be the correct forum, and yet I don't see one that is specifically for this, so hope I don't get in trouble for asking this question here. I use gmail, but I absolutely hate the web interface. I have been using incredimail for years (don't use any of the backgrounds or icons but love the ability to organize folders and set message rules, etc. Can someone recommend a great email client that allows folder organization and is easy to set up? I currently have Windows XP (SP3).

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Thunderbird does a good job, it is easy to setup, and it handles Gmail too.
    And then there is the free Windows Live Mail but that requires more software from Microsoft (you do not have to get the entire Essentials package, you can selectively de-select most of the download). There are some real nice features within Windows Live Mail.

While both clients can be set up to send/receive through Gmail servers, it is not the typical POP/SMTP settings. Look over the Help for Gmail server settings.

3. C141

C141

Outlook Express is standard with Win XP.

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

Outlook Express is very old and no longer being meaningfully supported. Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail are updated regularly, safer in that some bad token passing or viruses are stopped within the client, plus both are much more feature packed.

5. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

I may be imagining things, but it seems like IncrediMail is causing problems on my PC. That's my main problem with it. It seems to be getting slower and more cumbersome. I like being able NOT to have messages be threaded and to have folder organization within the client. I did try Thunderbird a few minutes ago, and I'm having trouble getting my contacts to import properly.

6. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Also, I see I do already have Windows Live Mail installed, as I let it come in when I installed Live Writer (use for blog writing). Is it a web-based application, or does it reside on my hard drive like IM? (I know I could try it and see, but before I go through all the set up screens, I'd like to know if it's a web program like Gmail, or a client?

7. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Also, can Thunderbird and Live Mail both allow multiple email addresses to come to the same client?

8. ChuckE

ChuckE

I don't know if Thunderbird can automatically detect the IncrediMail client. If it can't then try to export from IncrediMail to a CSV format. Then import them that way.

9. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Yes, that is the way I tried to import. I think I did something wrong with my choices, because it only brought in the first name, no other information. I'll delete that address book and try again.

10. ChuckE

ChuckE

Windows Live Mail (WLMail) is a client running on your computer. As to how it connects to your mail servers it will use either POP or IMAP and SMTP.

Both, Thunderbird and WLMail, can be used to set up for many different email addresses, all being seen through that one client window. I have my Thunderbird set up with seven email addresses (one Gmail, one personal server, five using roadrunner.com addresses). I have my WLMail set up with only two email addresses (one Gmail and one Hotmail).

11. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Okay, another question--can either TBird or Live Mail be set up with message rules (to send emails to certain folders upon arrival)?

12. ChuckE

ChuckE

Thunderbird has Message Filters and there are the typical Rules you set up for them. In fact there is an easy to use Message>Create Filter From Message command.

In WLMail there is a Message rules command on the Folders tab.

There is a note in WLMail that says you can't use rules with IMAP or HTTP (web based) email accounts.

13. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks. I think I'll go with Thunderbird if I can get my contacts in. Do you know of problems with IncrediMail, from what you hear on the forums?

14. ChuckE

ChuckE

I tried IncrediMail a long time ago, but I found it too "cutsie" and just too cluttered for what I wanted. Plus, I am always suspicious of any program that tried to be too cute ... are they being cute just to get you to install so that they can infect your computer somehow?

I have heard some rumblings about how IncrediMail is a very suspicious program, that it does infect, but that could just be some people who are trying to "poison the well" for IncrediMail. I have no knowledge one way or the other.

15. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I have used it for years with no "infection" that I know of--but I am just starting to feel inherently that it is causing problems. I don't use the cutsie stuff but love the way it lets me organize the email. Thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice