1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email compose problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Buzzmcs, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

I run XP Pro and have Internet Explorer 8 and Outlook Express version 6? installed. In Outlook Express I like to use the "technical" stationary and a typeface called "Comic Sans". I use these two items on all my emails. I have a problem in that I have lost the "technical" stationary; when I go to the options section and select "technical", nothing happens; the page just stays blank. Also, when I choose "Comic Sans" and the point size and color I want and then click on "apply" it does not stay locked in for use at a later email writing session. The way I understand the Outlook options section, if you choose a typeface and stationary option and click on apply/OK, then that's what should be available automatically every time you compose an email. Isn't that what's supposed to happen?

Can anyone tell me what's going wrong here or am I wanting something that was not designed into the program?

Buzz Jameson:)

2. huggie54

huggie54

3. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    Buzzmcs, browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery and check to see if "Technical.htm" & "Tech.gif" is still there. The .htm might have gotten corrupted. If so I can post a zip file with those files for you.
    btw, if they are still there, you can edit Technical.htm by right-clicking the .htm file and choose to open it in notepad and change the default "Arial" font to "Comic Sans" then save it (overwrite) the original Technical.htm file.

Hope this help,
    Jim

4. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

In response to Hermitt43: Jim, I looked for my stationary files as you suggested and found that most of the stationary files either are missing or only thin slivers of what they are supposed to be are in the stationary file. The file "Technical" and a similar file called "Tech" just show an "E" logo. If I click on the square box that says "Technical" all I get is a blank screen. I don't quite understand your directions for changing the default "Arial" typeface to "Comic Sans" typeface. If I click on the "Technical" icon square all I get is the blank screen and I don't see any way to change the "Arial" typeface to "Comic Sans". Is there some way to recover all those missing or corrupted stationary files?

Buzz Jameson

5. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi Buzz,
    It sounds like you have some corrupted Stationery files which is the reason you can't view/use them.
    I've attached a .zip file of all the OE6 standard Stationery files so all you have to do is download it to your desktop then unzip it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery. It will ask if you want to overwrite files.... choose YES to All.
    Once you get these files installed, you should be able to follow my instructions to change the typeface in "Technical.htm". If not, let me know and I'll edit the file here and upload it.

Regards,
    Jim

Attached Files:

6. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

Jim,

Sorry, but I tried the re-install and still no joy. Those new files you sent me did the same thing as the old ones were. I guess something is really messed up in that part of the program. Thanks for trying.

Buzz Jameson

7. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    Hmmmm. I was sure the files would fix it. Must be that OE itself has a glitch somewhere.
    You could always re-install OE. Here's the Link to download it. http://www.tucows.com/preview/194179

If this doesn't fix it then I'm all out of ideas.

8. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

Jim,

I downloaded the OE software and will install it later this morning. Hope it works. Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into helping me. Greatly appreciated.

Buzz Jameson

9. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

Jim,

Would you happen to know if loading the recently downloaded OE file over the existing file on my computer will cause me to lose all my email addressses? If that happens I'll spend all day trying to find all the original addresses plus spening a lot of time with my Internet service provider getting my email set back up correctly with the provider.

Buzz Jameson

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi Buzz,

Before messing with reinstalling OE, do a backup as explained HERE.

You said earlier that the stationary files are "thin slivers". Most are just small samples of the design that tile to fill the page. For instance, technical is a 20x20 gif that tiles to give the look of graph paper in a message.

To edit an HTM, right click it and select "Open with" then click Notepad.

Can you apply any of the stationaries by using the Format menu on a compose window?

T. :)

11. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

Response to Throoper: Yes, I entered "Clear Sky" which is basically a light blue sky texture and it stayed in the next time I got into compose. Both Tecnical which is a graph and tech? are blank. I havn't tried any of the maybe three that look like they will work.

Buzz Jameson

12. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

I don't think it's OE. That shouldn't have any affect on the files in the Stationary folder.
    Did you replace the contents of the Stationary folder with the contents of the zip that Hermitt43 posted?

T, :)

13. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    Buzzncs, lets try this again.
    I created a self installing .exe file of the OE6 Stationery for you to download and install.
    Step 1: Download the attachment below to your desktop.
    Step 2: Double Click the downloaded .zip file - Double Click the .exe file inside the zip file.
    Step 3: Click the INSTALL button. Click "Yes to All" when asked.
    Step 4: Close all windows and RESTART your PC.
    Step 5: Test your stationery in Outlook Express 6.... It should work the way you want it to.
    If it fails to work properly then you obviously have a Virus or Malware affecting your system.
    If the test in Step 5 fails, then scan your PC with a good Anti-Virus software as well as a good Malware software.

Regards,
    Jim

Attached Files:

14. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

Response to Hermitt43: Jim, that worked. I now can call for Technical and it comes up. But there is still one problem. Up in the tool bar if you click on Format there normally is a laundry list of things you can click on, including the item "Options". For some reason that is missing from the list. I did go into the program files/common files/ shared/stationary and right clicked on the "Technical" icon. It allowed me to follow it across and change the default font from "Arial" to "Comic Sans MS", bu there is no way now to lock it in. I'll try another reboot and see if that solves the problems. I can't thank you and TechGuys enough for sticking with me and at least getting the "Technical" stationary back to where I can set it up manually. Thanks again.

Buzz Jameson

15. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

Response to Hermitt43: Now Comic Sans MS comes into its window automatically. But I have to manually change the color. That's OK based on what I had to do before. You guys are the greatest.

Buzz Jameson

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice