1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email conundrum

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Abie2, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Abie2

Abie2 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 48 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3522 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 4 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 214 GB (160 GB Free); D: 250 GB (144 GB Free); E: 29 GB (20 GB Free); F: 0 GB (0 GB Free); G: 46 GB (16 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., A88X-PRO
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

I have been just fine when all i had was email on my desktop. Since then, I added the same email client Thnderbird to my android phone, and Nexus 13 tablet. I did not want to add different names or passwords to other devices, so i won't get confused. Now, I find when i go to one email name on my desktop and get through with the password, and when i use that same password on my phone, i get a message that its wrong. I check my TB list and it shows that I am correct, so why can't the device accept it? As for another problem with the gmail address, I know the password is correct again, but it seems i have to get a code by phone or text to be able to view it. Question....am i suppose to create a new password after entering the code? I am not asked to...so i let it be. Out of the 3 devices, the gmail entry works just fine on my desktop and phone, but not on my tablet. On my desktop, one aol EMAIL address denies me access. I did not move my AOL address's to my phone and tablet, as yet.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

For gmail, you must have turned on 2nd factor authentication. Thus after entering the password, it will send you a code to your cellphone, and you have to enter that code into gmail. This is a security feature, it requires the person signing in to have your cellphone in his possession, in addition to knowing your password. Your password can be compromised by having a keylogger installed on your system or having another person looking over your shoulder as you type it. So this security feature is designed to foil those kinds of problems.

Is your tablet old ? Does it have a gmail app installed ? Gmail app have been updated several times and older ones may not know about 2nd factor authentication.

Don't know about your AOL email problem, I don't use AOL.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I agree with Lunar, you have 2-factor turned on so either it's set up to send a text with a code, or you have an authentication app. I would recommend using an app as it would be the easiest.

You can also create a second password, which is separate to your main one. Under Security and Sign-In:

upload_2018-11-5_8-36-28.png

Select App Passwords and then you can create a password to use for Thunderbird. This will only allow access to your email, nothing else, and be revoked at any time if you suspect your email account is being used.

4. Abie2

Abie2 Thread Starter

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to emails and passwords...my knowledge is limited. First, I do not understand the part where i must have turned on '2nd factor authentication...Where did I unbeknownst to me, did I turn it on? As for my tablet, like I said in my OP, its the Nexus 13...yes, i guess its old by today's standard, but i am constantly reminded to update all my apps, including gmail, which I do. What confuses me, once I enter the codes, and all is fine, a few days later, if I am using that email, I again have to add a code...that is why i asked in my OP, after entering that code, do i have to change my password. In the past, one is always told to do so, but not when i get those codes.

5. Abie2

Abie2 Thread Starter

Where would i see that form that you linked? In Thunderbird, i couldn't find anything similar.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That's in your google account online.

7. Abie2

Abie2 Thread Starter

Thanks, Guys,,,i learned a lot about my gmail now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice