1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

email disaster

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by zalemale, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zalemale

zalemale Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to these forums, but definitely have a problem on my hands I think. While doing routine searches for viruses on my computer, my virus checker stumbled upon an infected file...my inbox.dbx file. I use outlook express and, as I now know, this file is responsible for all incoming emails. Well, after not being able to disinfect the file, I opted to delete this file...The next time I started outlook express, all my emails were gone (ones that I had been saving for a couple years by now), except for a new "welcome to outlook express 6!" message. I tried doing a system restore back to yesterday, but that effort went down in vain. I guess what outlook did was just create a new message base inbox.dbx file leaving me with no way to access the old inbox.dbx file...is this unfortunate assumption correct? If anyone knows more on this subject, and have any ideas on how i can get my lost email back, I'd really appreciate it a great deal.

Thanks,
    zm

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Welcome to TSG!

Not sure, but check your recycle bin. It may be there. I believe your assumptions about the recreations of the folder are correct!

Too bad you didn't come before trying the delete the folder :(

Hope more people can help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice