1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email Error Message

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by TracieA, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TracieA

TracieA Thread Starter

Hello lovely Tech Support Guys!

Today's problem is.......the following error message

The message could not be opened from out Outbox folder. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800420C8

after I have sent an email. My recipients are getting the mail but Outlook Express seems intent on just chatting to me anyway. This has been happening since I reinstalled Windows so I'm thinking there may be a connection. Spoke to Virgin (my ISP) today and they seem to think there is a problem with the Outbox folder itself and that a file is missing. This seems odd given that everything was backed up prior to reinstallation and haven't had a problem with anything else other than not having a copy of Office anymore.

Any ideas????

Thank you x

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi TracieA,

That usually indicates a corrupt Outbox.dbx.

Go into the OE Message Store folder and delete it.

You need to have Hidden files and Folders showing.
    At the top of any folder(My Documents for example) click Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
    Scroll down the list and place a check next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then click Apply and OK.

In OE
    Click on Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder.
    On the Store Location box, highlight the address by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
    Press Control+C (both at the same time) to copy the address to the clipboard.
    Click Cancel on all boxes and close OE.

Click on Start>Run.
    Press Control+V (both at the same time) to paste the address into the command line and click OK.
    The Store Folder containing all the DBX files should open.
    Delete the Outbox.dbx. A New one will be generated when you next open OE.

If you still have the problem, move everything you want to keep from your Sent Items folder into a folder of your own creation, then Delete the Sent Items.dbx from the Message Store folder.

T. :)

3. TracieA

TracieA Thread Starter

Thanks T. Will give this a go and get back to you x

4. TracieA

TracieA Thread Starter

Hold on if I delete the whole of the store folder surely I will delete all my messages? There are ones I wish to keep in my inbox & sent box.

5. throoper

Only delete the Outbox.dbx.
    I guess that wasn't clear. The "it" is the outbox.dbx. "Go into the Store folder and delete "IT".
    Whew, had a coronary when I saw your last post.

If it's necessary to delete the Sent Items.dbx, be sure to move everything you want to keep to a new folder in OE

6. TracieA

TracieA Thread Starter

Ok well that didn't work so gonna try moving and storing sent box info as your last line suggested. Will report back as usual x

7. TracieA

TracieA Thread Starter

Ah went to copy and paste dbx folder and then deleted original folder and now have lost everythin - grrrrrrrrrrr. Guess should have asked you exactly how you would have suggested 'moving' everything from sent items folder. Ho hum. Next?

8. throoper

When you say "deleted original folder", do you mean the Sent Items.dbx in the Message Store folder and now you're missing the messages in the Sent Items folder in OE?
    Is that all you're missing (Sent Items)?

Is the Sent Items.dbx you deleted still in your Recycle bin? If it is, Do not click Restore at this time. I'll post instructions of how to put it back.

9. TracieA

TracieA Thread Starter

Yes that is the folder I was referring to and yes it is in my recyle bin (gosh it's almost like you know about computers, it's magic :) ) I am now not even pressing 'enter' without further instructions....oh no wait... I have to do that to send this lol x

10. throoper

Assuming you have some new sent messages you want to keep, move them to a different folder by doing the following.

Open OE.
    In the folder tree (left pane), right click Local Folders and click "New folder" on the menu.
    In the "Create Folder" box, type the name for the folder (you can just name it New), highlight Local Folders in the list and then click OK.
    Folder New should appear in the folder tree.

Open Sent Items and highlight any message in the list in the right pane (don't open it, just select it).
    At the top of OE, click Edit>Select all (all the messages in Sent Items should highlight).
    In the right pane, press and hold your left mouse button on any message and drag the messages to the New folder in the folder tree (it will highlight when you're on it).
    Release the left mouse button and all the messages will transfer to the New folder.
    Open the New folder and verify that the messages are there.

To get the Sent items from the Recycle bin back to OE, open the Message Store folder (see instruction in post #2).
    Make sure OE is closed before continuing.

In the Message Store folder, rename the Sent Items.dbx to Sent Items.old (Sent Items old.dbx is OK if you can't change the extension).
    Now open the Recycle bin.
    In the Recycle bin, select the Sent Items.dbx and click "Restore this item" (or right click Sent Items.dbx and click Restore on the menu).
    Look in the Message Store folder and verify that Sent Items.dbx has been put back into the Message Store.

Open OE and check that your missing messages are back in Sent Items.

If you're not sure on any of those instructions, please ask and I'll try to clarify things.

11. TracieA

TracieA Thread Starter

Oh yes, very few sent messages to bother about so we are still left with the original problem and error message. Any further ideas?

12. TracieA

TracieA Thread Starter

Please read above as still have same problem and not heard from you guys in ages x

13. RAGGSTAR

RAGGSTAR

Hello
    If you are using windows xp, please hold down the the "windows" button located under the "x" key, while holding down the "e" key. This will solve your problem

14. TracieA

TracieA Thread Starter

Sorry? That is gonna solve the whole of my problems with email error message? Tad confused as just did that and nothing happened x

15. throoper

Hi TracieA,

Win+E should open Windows Explorer and I have no idea what the point of that was.:confused:

Back to your problem.
    Generating a new Outbox and Sent Items as you did pretty much rules out a file problem.
    The next thing to look at is your Account. If you have duplication of the account, that can also cause that error.

In OE, click Tools>Accounts.
    On the Internet Accounts window, click the Mail tab.
    How many Accounts are listed? If it's more than one, do you actually have other accounts?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice