1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Email font

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Greenveg, Oct 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Greenveg

Greenveg Thread Starter

Hi,
    One or two of my inbox messages sometimes appear partly in Script MT Bold. If I forward the message, the Script MT Bold font automatically changes to Arial font. I composed a message a while ago using Script MT Bold font.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Greenveg, and welcome to TSG.

I may not be able to suggest a solution, but it would help if you told us exactly what web email site you are using or what email client software you are using. It would not hurt to tell what operating system you are using on your computer as well.

3. Greenveg

Greenveg Thread Starter

Thank you for reply. I am using Windows Live Mail 2012 with Windows 10, which I upgraded recently from Windows 7. I think that problem existed before the upgrade. I am an elderly person,
    and my memory is showing my age.

4. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Windows Live Mail 2012 was discontinued some time ago, although it is purported to work with Windows 10.
    Who is your email provider? Is it your internet service provider or a free email provider such as Hotmail (Outlook.com), Gmail, Yahoo mail?
    Are you able to log into your email with your providers web-mail interface to see if the issue occurs there?

It could be that the person sending you the email has included formatting that changed the font while composing the message.

5. Greenveg

Greenveg Thread Starter

I am using Yahoo mail with Sky. I also have the same provider on my Samsung phone and tablet. I had an email an hour ago about my home insurance and every word was in Script MT bold. This was on my PC, but on my tablet and phone it was in Arial, so I would assume that the message was composed in Arial. I am aware regarding Live Mail being discontinued, but it seems to function ok. Recently, Sky suggested changing to a different provider. After an hour on the phone with them, they had made such a hash of things, I decided to stay with Live Mail. I can log ok into Live Mail.

6. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    So do the affected emails look ok when you log into yahoo mail from your web browser?

You could try another email client to replace the Windows Live Mail 2012. You can have both set up on your system at the same time and will work together seamlessly as long as you are NOT using the POP protocol.

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-alternative-to-windows-live-mail
    I use Thunderbird myself, and have also used eM client.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are these emails coming as "Plain" text or as "Rich Text" type?
    If Plain text, then some different email programs may be set to display plain text using the different fonts.

8. Greenveg

Greenveg Thread Starter

I am not sure, but I am thinking of changing to Outlook.com as Windows Live Mail is now discontinued. It still works, but there is no longer any Microsoft support. I am pretty elderly, but not too bad with computers. However, I dabbled with changing servers a while ago, and it was a nightmare. Sky made a complete hash of things, and after over an hour on the phone with them, I had to stay with Windows Live Mail. Is it straightforward to change to Outlook.com, as it comes with windows 10. I don't want to lose any folder messages, e.g. Archives, Contacts etc. Microsoft want an arm and a leg to do this for you.

9. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Outlook.com is what Microsoft is currently calling their free email service. I know that my Hotmail account was migrated to it, and I suspect that you have a live mail account that will also be migrated to it as well. It can be accessed through a webmail interface with a web browser from any internet capable PC or smartphone. It is not to be confused with an email client - a program that is configured to attach to an email account, which usually works better than the web interface offered by the email provider.
    Your issue appears to be some kind of bug or mis-configuration in your "Windows Live Mail 2012" client program. I asked if you could log into your webmail interface and have a look to see if the issue persists when looking at the email in that manner.

10. Greenveg

Greenveg Thread Starter

I am not quite sure what you mean by "log into your webmail interface". When I open Windows Live Mail, I can see a small square box saying log in underneath. This is on the left hand side of the banner at the top of the page. Is this what you mean. I have had a look at what you suggested regarding Plain/Rich text. File> Options> Mail> Read. The always read in Plain text box was not ticked, so I have ticked it>Ok. I think that my Outlook.com is migrated to Gmail, an account that I was given by Microsoft, which I never use.

11. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    If you open a web browser and navigate to outlook.com, you will see that it will take you to Login.live.com. Try clicking on the links below to show this.
    https://login.live.com
    http://www.hotmail.com
    http://www.outlook.com
    If you log in to any of these with your email address for your username, and email password (I hope you know what that is. many don't. And Don't post here it!)

Gmail is google's email service - a rival to Microsoft's Outlook.com. If you are using the "Windows Live Mail 2012" email client, you would not see which email account it is set up to use, although most commonly, it is the one specified by the part of your email address after the @ symbol.

12. Greenveg

Greenveg Thread Starter

I have logged in successfully with login.live.com, is there something that I need to do next.

13. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Have a look at the affected message in your inbox to see if the font issue exists while in the webmail interface.

14. Greenveg

Greenveg Thread Starter

The affected message has been deleted, so I cannot check it. As I previously mentioned, this has only happened two or three times, so perhaps I am making too much of a fuss about it. Although Windows Live Mail 2012 is now discontinued, it is still working ok. so I will continue with it until the time comes when it is no longer fit for purpose, and then change my provider. I can also login to Sky (Yahoo) where my emails are sent from. I can read my Inbox messages, Compose etc. from there. I would like to thank you and all the others for the help that you have offered.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice