Email hack

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cookie78

Hi guys

Someone on Facebook was claiming he can get the passwords to anyone's email account. I asked him to tell me mine to see if my account was open to fraud. He claims he was in my account, but wouldn't tell me my password or any emails in it. Just sent a rather suspect looking screen shot of an email from my address to him. None of my account shows traces e.g sent and nothing at all shows my end.

Just wondered if there is a programme that he has used to make it appear as though I emailed him or wether I should be concerned.

Thanks for your help!

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
Just wondered if there is a programme that he has used to make it appear as though I emailed him.
Yes, that is fairly easy to do. The From section of an email is set by the sender, and though by default most email programs will set it to the account they're actually using, they don't have to.
(And of course, if the only evidence you have is a screenshot he could even not have done that. Pictures are even easier to manipulate!)

Cookie78

Thanks mate. Didn't think he had access. So I'm right to think there is nothing to worry about. I was a bit of a prat for calling him out on it! Lesson learnt!

Cookie78

Sorry that bit about nothing to worry about was a question not a statement?

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
Yes, I would say that in the absence of further evidence there's nothing to worry about.
Stay safe. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts