1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email hacked into?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by beaglehound, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaglehound

beaglehound Thread Starter

Hi everyone~

Here's the problem:

I've received a couple of emails from a friend who did not send the emails. Somehow her email address is being used on another computer somewhere. In fact she has even received an email from herself!

The email contains a simple link. Because it was from my friend I opened it and saw it was simply an advertisement for various medications etc.

I telephoned my friend and she realized that her email address has been compromised. That is when she told me she had even received an email sent to her from her.

She has changed her password hoping this will rectify the problem.

1. Will this remedy her problem?
    2. Should I block her address?
    3. Hasa my own email account been compromised? I've run Ad-Aware, Norton's anti-virus and nothing as come up. I've also used a couple of PC "cleaners" to rid my computer of any junk. Having not detected anything am I okay or have I been infected because I accidentally opened up the email she sent to me with the link on it?
    4. Should I change my email account password or am I okay?
    5. Is there another security program I should run to do a more thorough check?
    6. Are these emails originating from my own computer since she has nothing in her "sent" box to show that they came from her computer? How can I find this out.

I'm hoping I'm not going to have to reformat my entire computer. If more information is needed please let me know. I'm not super technical/computer savvy so please try to keep things simple for me if possible. Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice