1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email hacked?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Peachykeen, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peachykeen

Peachykeen Thread Starter

My 90+ year-old mother may have had her email hacked. I have 3 email addresses and each one had an email that was from her actual address as far as I can tell. Each email had a different subject line ("respond to this", "what you're loving", and "limited space") The email said the message couldn't be displayed and to click a link to view it.
    I didn't click the link, but my sister did, and it took her to an infomercial for a product called Geniux that supposedly has been endorsed by Stephen Hawking. I hope my sister didn't get hacked as a result!
    My mom changed her password, so I hope that's the end of it, and she will scan for viruses.
    Any idea if this could've been hacking or can spoofers access email contacts now???
    Thanks for your help!

2. nzkeyboard

nzkeyboard

First Name:
    Simon Peter Clotworthy
    Right click on the suspected email and click view source. In the example below I have Highlighted the areas that show the email address and IP of the sender and also the email address of the recipient.

Can you please provide the email source of the Stephen Hawking endorsed Geniux product email

What email client is she using? is it web based or an application like Outlook?

source.jpg

3. Peachykeen

Thanks so much for your reply. The email is a yahoo.com account.

I don't see a line beginning with X-SID-PRA, and there are several "Received From" lines:
    Received: from 207.115.36.41 (EHLO nlpi169.prodigy.net) (207.115.36.41)
    by mta1144.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:36:18 +0000
    X-Originating-IP: [98.138.121.71]
    Received: from nm45-vm7.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com (nm45-vm7.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com [98.138.121.71])
    by nlpi169.prodigy.net (8.14.4 IN nd2 TLS/8.14.4) with ESMTP id u2UGaGpc031469
    (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=RC4-SHA bits=128 verify=NO)
    for <[email protected]>; Wed, 30 Mar 2016 11:36:17 -0500
    DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s2048; t=1459355776; bh=ZVsiKDZKOC0h7EbGAToQ+QzN4R/1Uf9g4H3uwHsRhd4=; h=Date:Subject:From:To:From:Subject; b=O2DscZ7UIssy+pmywC7a51wordpdOFYsKi/YfTZOi3sYe1hi34mAmZIiJ7XEyYizMaTT5gMsPJRD6hP/cCsSkoDkB0j4VZ7NVpKMgqhTLSl8OLy0XXpkZKT0mowwQGuG6tcmc39VA6pqF/iEU/EE7W8ainUWgB+MEDOJ07dSyZgbMwF7cJ6PZO8xOV9Nc5sAu0vPcGdn+nuaT1jPlhCpg83GcXw51al6aNOBXQP/0VWrn7Khln6QUUO1GvJObuTnFaO3Vow2rZKpEo45j318BSsz7ThS3zOqGA4C+AgyMiV+GLGidEFphCeuC3xRzzDaGpXNUO/UElbqMO9d80sRgQ==
    Received: from [127.0.0.1] by nm45.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 30 Mar 2016 16:36:16 -0000
    Received: from [98.138.101.131] by nm45.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 30 Mar 2016 16:33:21 -0000
    Received: from [98.138.226.125] by tm19.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 30 Mar 2016 16:33:21 -0000
    Received: from [127.0.0.1] by smtp204.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 30 Mar 2016 16:33:17 -0000

The From and To line looks normal.

Thanks so much for your help! I have two other emails I can check, too.

4. nzkeyboard

nzkeyboard

First Name:
    Simon Peter Clotworthy
    Very happy to help!!

What made you think the email was coming from your mothers email account?

It is possible that her address book has been compromised but not her actual email account.

Her name would then be used in the emails sent to everyone in her address book to make them seem legitimate.

Changing her password was a good idea and has solved most of the problem.

She may have previously accidentally logged into a fake Hotmail or Yahoo website thereby giving the spammers her email account credentials and address book list.

5. Peachykeen

It looked like it was really coming from her because although it didn't have the name she's under in my contacts list, it said From:(her email)@yahoo.com. Should it have started with her nickname and then email address?
    It appears that everyone in her address book got this email (all of my addresses, too, but each with a different subject line).
    She heard from a couple of people who felt like something was wrong, and I told her to email everyone she keeps in touch with regularly. Thankfully, that's not many people, but if some has access to all these addresses - UGH!!!
    I've asked my sister to check this return address info on her email, too.
    Thanks again for your help!

6. nzkeyboard

nzkeyboard

First Name:
    Simon Peter Clotworthy
    Just make sure to send an email out to the people on her address book explaining the problem and perhaps ask them to block the sender of those emails and you should be fine

7. Peachykeen

If they block the sender, won't that block her? I did just notice her nickname WAS on one of the emails sent to one of my addresses. :(

8. nzkeyboard

nzkeyboard

First Name:
    Simon Peter Clotworthy
    to get this issue resolved you will need to foward the suspected spam email for someone to have a look at the source information. unfortunately i cannot ask you to email me the message as it is against the rules of this website. The technical support must stay within the forums. You could copy the source and send it in a private message to one of the moderators of this website to have a look at.

9. Peachykeen

OK. Thanks so much!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice