1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email Lagging up to 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by IT_Wreck, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IT_Wreck

IT_Wreck Thread Starter

Hey all,

Here's the scenerio:

We have 20 users at our office. All are equipped with a notebook running Vista (Ugh) with Office 2007 (Errgh). Everybody is set up with the same @ourdomain.com e-mail account hosted by a local company. I've set everyone up the same way with port 110 for POP3 and 25 for SMTP. No encryption enabled, As per the hosting company's instructions.

Problem is, when we send/recieve e-mails, "sometimes" there is a lag before the recepient recieves the message. Most often, it happens when the receptionist takes a call, and sends an email to the appropriate person with missed call info. It will leave her outbox, and won't appear in the next persons inbox for anywhere from 4 hours to 8 days! Sometimes, they go without a hitch.

I've contacted our host with the problem, and I get the common "Did you try this? Yes" and the "Did you try this? Yes", and then the "Well, I dunno then". Grr

I ended up moving my PST file to a terminal services session with outlook 2003 and since then, the problem dissappeared (for me). However, I don't want to have to do this with everybody because users take their notebooks home and use their wireless internet, and RDP is slow with wireless, so it would be nice to have the outlook on their local machine working properly.

Maybe this is a problem with Vista/Outlook 2007? Or ISP? or?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Do you have web-based access to the e-mail accounts, like SquirrelMail or something? If so, one thing you can do is:
    1. Send a test message from Outlook 2007 to someone else inside the company.
    2. Login to the recipient's e-mail account using a web-based mail client.
    3. See if the message is in the recipient's inbox.
    If the message IS in the recipient's inbox, the message is being spooled to the mail server quickly. If the message is NOT in the recipient's inbox, there is some kind of bottleneck on the mail server's side. There could be a delay due to spam filtering or some configuration issue with their mail server.

When conducting the test above, MAKE SURE the recipient's mail client (Outlook) is NOT running so that it won't have a chance to download mail before the test is done. :)

Peace..

3. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

Use stamps and an envelope, might be quicker. Silly question, but are the dates on the machines current? The filtering software that may be in use at your host may not send out an email that is time stamped for 3 days in the future until that time has passed. Does this happen to ALL users or a select few?

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Great questions! :)

Peace...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice