1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email links

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lschul, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I just hit a link on a webpage to send an email and it defaulted to Outlook, any way to designate where it defaults? Change to Gmail?

2. cancon

cancon

mailto: links open by default in explorer.

Gmail needs you to sign in every time you want to send an e-mail through your browser.

I have never heard of being able to change the links to default as gmail.

Why not use Outlook Express??? It works great with Gmail.

3. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I am using Outlook for work and trying to keep work and personal separate. I wonder if it would be a good thing to use outlook for work and OE for personal. Is that a possibility? However, I like having the gmail application going to I can keep it cleaned up.

4. cancon

cancon

Yep, it's a possiblity - you can use the POP3 settings in your gmail account to make sure it's kept tidy even when you use OE.

5. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

The one thing I had confusion with when using Outlook was if I deleted an email in Outlook it did not delete it in gmail and everything was backed up but also kind of messy.

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

It's possible to do this.

You can use Firefox's Webmail Compose extension so mailto links open in the Gmail webmail interface.

You can do this in Opera with userjs or its mailto "open with other application" option.

You can also create a program to parse a mailto URI and generate the gmail http compose address. You create registry entries that allow you to set the program as the default email client for the system. This way, you can click on a mailto link in any program and it will launch in gmail in the default browser.

If any of those sound appealing, I can give more info.

7. cancon

cancon

can i have a bit more info on Firefox's Webmail Compose please??

That is, if you can spare a couple of minutes in your time to fit me in ;)

8. cancon

cancon

If you go to the settings in your gmail account, you can set what you want gmail to do when you delete an e-mail using POP3.

You can choose to archive it, delete it, and a bunch of other stuff from what I remember.

9. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

WebmailCompose

Install the latest version and in its options, set it up to use Gmail.

10. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I made Gmailto to do this. It works for me on WinXP, but no guarantees.

11. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice