1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email not arrived, is it lost ?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BlizzardUK, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlizzardUK

BlizzardUK Thread Starter

Yesterday I noticed my emails seem to stop at about 8am, so I sent an email to myself, and it arrived about an hour later, with the delay due to greylisting. However I was still concerned, so because most of my contacts are Gmail I sent myself a message from Gmail, never arrived, even 5 hours later, so I turned off greylisting and re-sent myself a similar message, that came straight through, but I still never got the original Gmail test message. I am not with Gmail (other than the test account) and I have checked all spam folders, nothing there.

It has now been 15 hours and still not arrived and I have not had a return email back or the email itself. If this is due to greylisting, then does the fact I have now turned that feature off mean I have destroyed the emails that were in the greylist queue ? If this isn't likely to be due to greylisting, then what else can it be ? Emails I test send seem to get through now very fast. Also I don't think it is down to a mail server being down as the test email I sent myself from a non-gmail account reached me in an hour, which was sent around the same time as the Gmail test message.

I have a 2 way system, emails go to a redirector and then to my main email address. So it is hard to know which one would be at fault, the redirector, gmail, or my main email. On the re-direct email I have it set to send to 2 email addresses just in case one is slow. So if no message has turned up in either I am guessing the problem lies with either gmail or the redirection.

I do seem to now be getting recent email but nothing back dated from yesterday. There is a chance no one else emailed me, but the fact my test reply went missing is a little strange.

However, my main reason for this message is..............

1. Will me turning off the greylist feature destroy already queued greylist emails ?

2. If I don't get sent a "returned email" message and don't have the original email either, what does this normally mean is the problem ?

Thanks for your help !!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice