1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

email notifications

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by littlemar, Dec 6, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. littlemar

littlemar Thread Starter

Hi Tech Guy

I like getting the email notifications, but it would be better if only one per thread could be generated if it's possible. I know I could just turn it off but I like to see when there was an answer. If there were the one then I would just read the rest anyway. When I'm gone for a while I come back to at least 15 to 20 notices with a couple from each. If it's not possible I'll just try to remember to stop the notices before I leave. I'm done complaining now.

You do a great job and thanks so much for your hard work.

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Mary

in the email notification it says "There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the board again."

You should only receive one from each post until you visit again.

:)

3. cwolfe98

cwolfe98

Littlemar,
    That is something I have noticed also.
    I am also getting 3 or 4 email notices from the same thread, before I go and look/read it. Usually it is saying different members who have replied to the thread. Sometimes I get the same notification twice.

I know the email notification it says "There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the board again." But that is NOT the case here!??!

Anyone have any ideas why we are getting this?:confused:?

4. deuce

deuce

You know... I could care less (so Mike I am not complaining but just throwning in my two cents) ...for what it's worth, I have been noticing that too. I have had the email notification turned off for a long time (I don't know when but it was long before nov came around) but between nov and now, I have probably gotten 400 "notifications" from TSG. I just reroute them to a different inbox where I periodically check in and delete them in one swift move movement... (ctrl+A...delete... :D) It seems alot has happened on nov 1st. Since then I also haven't been getting subscribed to anything anymore... :( (but that ranting was done in a different thread)

5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I've asked vBulletin about this issue. I'll keep you guys updated.

6. littlemar

littlemar Thread Starter

Thanks, you're a dear.:)

7. RandyG

RandyG

What I have noticed is that there is probably a queuing setup working here. If you do not have your email program open, and multiple posts occur in one thread, then you will only receive the first notification. If you are online, and have your email program open and receiving mails, then they get sent out as soon as a reply to the thread is posted, thereby generating a new mail for every new post.

Do you follow me?

For example, I just logged back on this evening, and had 4 notification emails. The first one was for Why are some people so pissy sometimes? which was sent at 12:47 GMT, because Gary16735 posted a reply. I click the link, and notice that littlemar, robcaro, and jasonrosegiese also replied, even thought I did not receive any other notifications. The other 3 notifications were for other threads.

Maybe that will help to shed some light on the problem.

8. littlemar

littlemar Thread Starter

My problem is that I'm gone and the pc is off. I return to over 20+ notifications with multiple notices of the same thread by different people. I guess I just would like the first for that thread and then I could read the following ones. If it can't be changed so be it but I just wondered why it was happening.

I guess I'm just picky. :D

9. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    No one at vB seems to have any ideas on this one. If you guys happen to notice anything interesting about how this is happening, reply to this thread or message me. Specifically, if you notice that it happens to only certain threads, what makes those threads different, or it never happens to certain threads, etc... let me know.

10. cwolfe98

cwolfe98

Just keeping you up to date.....

I received 2 email notifications this morning. They both said that LadyLisa had replied to a post. (the same post, before I read it.) My computer had been off and I did not check my email untill around 10:00 am.
    Another thing that is odd is the times recorded. On the actual post it shows that LadyLisa posted at 9:55pm. The receive time on the emails is at 8:27pm & 9:55pm. (where did this 8:27pm post come from??)

Attached is a screen shot of the two emails opened, beside one another.
    :confused:

Attached Files:

11. cwolfe98

cwolfe98

ok, and another..
    I was just rechecking the post I had just written (above) when I got 4 emails. The emails said that Gibble, littltmar, eggplant43, and Lurker1 had all replied to the same post. (This is the same post as above pics.) TSG Members - show yourselves! - in the Random Discussion forum of Tech Support Guy Forums. This thread is located at:
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=58871&goto=newpost

I was reading THIS thread when I got the emails. I had not seen the other thread since before the previous post.

Oh yeah, I have my email set up to check for new messages every 10 min while on line.

:confused: :confused:

12. RandyG

RandyG

Well, the last post you made is explained by the fact you were online and on this board, and will get notified of every post that is made in a thread you are subscribed to.

13. cwolfe98

cwolfe98

Ok, so if you are online and logged in the TGS site, you will get an email notification everytime someone replies to a thread you have subscribed to.

The email says "There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the board again."

This means if you are online and NOT logged in the TGS site, you will get one email notification for the first reply to a thread you have subscribed to, but only one notice. Then log on to TSG and there might be new replies sent after the email, but no notification sent for those new ones b/c you were not logged in at TSG.

Is that it?
    (I think the fog is starting to lift. :p )

14. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I think that makes a lot of sense. :)

(Remember the good ol' days before things were so complicated? Before such special functions were even ATTEMPTED? When I first made a "subscribe to this thread" feature that would email you every time, no matter what? Yeah, those were the days... =)

15. RandyG

RandyG

yeas, I believe so. It's what I was trying to say last time, but without realising that TSG has no way of knowing if you are logged in unless you visit the board. Since it keeps track of when you were last there, it can control when the mail should be sent to you. I get more when I am online, because when I receive one notification, I usually click on it to see what was said. That updates the hboards timer, and then I get the next one. It has to be related to when the last time was that you logged on, and if you are currently accessing the board, then you will receive a notification for every post.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice