1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email on Android vs Laptop

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by supersadie, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supersadie

supersadie Thread Starter

Hi
    I've recently moved into the 21st Century and am receiving email on my android phone.
    I have two business accounts...both are IMAP.
    I am having a bit of a crisis of a hoarding nature so on my laptop so I have set up local personal folders into which this correspondence goes (via rules). So far so good. I'm also planning on using these as archives as archiving doesn't save space.
    On my phone when I send/receive I get loads of email and I can't free up space so I can see the next lot, so essentially once the first lot have arrived, unless I delete them all, I can't get any more until I send/receive on my laptop.
    (Does this make sense?)

Is there anything I can do to receive more on my phone. I guess I can delete the rubbish, but if I'm away for long periods, my phone's going to be full...
    Secondly, how can I archive into personal folders? I can find my personal folders .pst but can't specify into which one the correspondence goes.
    Hope someone can help me!
    PS We are talking Win7 and Outlook2010. Android is set up just using android's software (Samsung).

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello, you cannot do that. Your standard outlook.pst is an interactive cache, so whatever you do there, will affect what's on the server, your archive.pst is not because it is an ARCHIVE. it is a local repository and it will continue to grow as time goes by unless you manage it manually. So when you choose to archive messages say older than 90 days, those are moved from your outlook.pst to your archive.pst. you can certainly create different folders for archiving, but the process will still work the same way.

3. supersadie

Ok. So are you answering my second question about archiving to personal folders?

Secondly, when you say the archive is local - are you sure because I've been told that the archive counts towards your ISP's quota whereas the local personal folder contents does not. Hence I'm moving everything from archive to personal folders so my outlook inbox doesn't get full.

Any thoughts on the phone problem?

Many thanks.

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello, that is incorrect. As I have explained previously, an outlook archive file (by default 'archive.pst') is local to your machine. So when you choose to archive some messages, they are moved from your personal folders (by default 'outlook.pst') and moved to the archive, and they are consequently also deleted from the server. Your actual inbox is on the server itself, and depending on your quota, you must manage it by either deleting or archiving your messages.

5. supersadie

By personal folders, I mean the ones you set up to move mail to the computer itself, thus taking it off the server. I mean as distinct from the Outlook inbox.

My ISP says archives are also on the server, but personal folder contents are not.

Can't recall if I said, but my account is IMAP, not POP, which I believe makes a difference...

6. supersadie

Ok. So I've now made my account POP instead of IMAP. All my messages are there, and I still have the archive. What will happen when I delete my old IMAP account? Will the archive contents stay as it is?

And could you please explain what you meant about..." you can certainly create different folders for archiving,"... ideally, I would have an archive folder for correspondence for each mail account. Can this be done? I have personal folders for each account, believing, erroneously it now seems, that archives were counted but personal folders were not. So if that's the case - can I set up archive folders matching each account and archive automatically there?

Presumably the phone email conundrum is insoluble...

Many thanks for the hand-holding.

7. CleaverX

CleaverX

Once again, that is incorrect. Outlook archives are local to your computer, those messages are removed from the server and the only copy is on your machine. The same goes if you drag messages as individual files into a local folder, however you lose the ability to browse those messages from within Outlook unless you also add those folders as Outlook Data folders. As for switching from IMAP to POP you lose the ability of keeping your local messages synchronized, so even if you delete them from Outlook, they remain on the server; if you choose to delete the messages once they have been downloaded in Outlook, you loose the ability to receive them equally in Outlook and your Android. In order to have different outlook archives to correspond to individual account you would need to set each mail account with its own profile within Outlook. Just as a courtesy I would like to remind you that since you are determined to move your messages locally, I am hoping you have a solid backup plan in case disaster strikes (knocking on wood!)
    That is pretty much all I have on this subject.
    Good luck to you.

The Cleaver

8. supersadie

Thanks. I wanted to be absolutely certain before I delete the IMAP account that it wouldn't automatically delete my archives for that account. Everything gets backed up onto an external hard drive, but thanks for mentioning. Makes good sense.
    The only thing I didn't understand about your last message was not being able to browse messages from within outlook. All my archive and personal folder messages are viewable within outlook just like any other message. All the folders are pst folders. Maybe some people keep them in a different format and perhaps that's what you mean.
    Many thanks for your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice