1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

email photos won't open

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by iislander, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iislander

iislander Thread Starter

I send a weekly mass email to 40 people. Text is between 2kb - 3kb in size and I attach one or two photos with the email. Total size of these emails are around 1/2MB. I've been doing this for 5 years with no problems until recently. Most of the recipients of my emails cannot open the photos. Where the photos should be in the email, there is a block of letters and weird symbols. Some of the recipients tell me there are several pages of this alphabet gibberish. The text comes through just fine, the photos don't . My ISP doesn't know how to help, nor does tech support at HOTMAIL, which is my email address. I'm attaching photos and sending them the same way I've been doing for years. I'm stumped. Any suggestions from anyone? Thanks!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Email was never originally designed to send images, only plain text.

When accommodations for images were made, the email system encodes them (usually as MIME) to be able to be sent on a text only system.

If your email program is no longer using the same encoding system as the recipients email program does, then the gibberish text exactly as you describe will result.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice