1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email program pros and cons

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Oldwest, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

I have been using Netscape Messenger 4.7, but what are the pros and cons of Outlook Express, Eudora light, Netscape 6 Webmail, and maybe some others?
    I have heard that Outlook is more susceptible to viruses, etc. (??) What do you Pro's use and what do you suggest for an intermediate type such as me? I don't want to start a war, just learn a little.

2. Rockn

Rockn

There are way to many variables and differences to mention in order to answer your question and the tread would become so long it wouldn't be worth your while. You need to ask yourself what you need it for, what you want it to do and then research the capabilities of each to determine which email client meets your needs. I know a lot of companies won't allow OE in their offices for the reasons you mention, and I only use it as a News reader. I use Outlook 97 for all my other email and have never had a virus problem. I also use web based email for when I am out of the office and can't connect to our mail server. Lots of choices and options out there and one choice for one person will not be the choice for another.

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

The virus thing is based on statistics, so, statistically speaking, OE is more widely used that the numbers make it look bad.

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

i like outlook express

multiple email accounts (i use cable plus 2 different ISPs, plus 2 yahoo accounts LOL)
    multiple identities

- viruses: as doycej said - the big guy (MS) gets the most hits, in part because of it's domination of the market
    - but with firewalls that have email components, norton antivirus, and NEVER opening an attachment without scanning - you really cut down the chances of contacting one

you might want to look at pegasus also, freeware and pretty robust

otherwise - see what suits you and what features you like

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

jbcalg- Is it different with cable? I mean, I dont get the 2 different ISP thing. I have seen it mentioned before but never heard it explained.

Oldwest- Exactly. Just learn the basics about security and its really not a problem. Dont get lax though. I will give you an example but there is much more. I also have several email accounts. Some are for "business" such as here. My security is more lax there because Techguy would have to get something first. I use OE for that. I just make sure the preview pane is turned off when I exit in case of the random virus infected email. For my personal stuff, I use web based email. That way it gets scanned 2 times before its opened. Once by them and once by me. I dont follow the "its ok if you know you can trust them" rule either. Most people are very uninformed about security. Example, this is a true story, 2 of my friends figured they were ok because they saw an antivirus program listed in their menu, they never turned it on. Another friend called me to ask why she had gotten 2 viruses in as many weeks since she scanned everything. 4 years and she had never updated the virus pattern. So you see, a little studying and you should be fine. But there just arent any guaranties.

6. cybergum

cybergum

Outlook Express actually isn't as easy to get hit with a virus as you think; any message with an attachment (At least in the version I have) that is a virus is usually a program, so you get filename.doc.exe and you know not to download it. I'd get that :)

7. Rockn

Rockn

They are getting more inventive with programming of virus now and have been able to embed them in html formatted messages. Once you open the message you are infected unless you have a scanner working on your email.

8. jbcalg

jbcalg

cable is just the connection to the internet, had the same setup when i used a dial up, it really has no bearing on reaching a mail server.

each account has it's own login id and password
    each ISP or Webmail provider has their own SMTP and POP server address

so in OE i add an email account using the appropriate pop and smtp setting for the isp or webmail (ie yahoo)

then i 'connect' (misnomer, the cable is always on when the computer is)
    click on send/receive all
    OE connects to each mail server identified and send &/or receives to/from that server

so really it's just like visiting webpages, if you have the address you get there, with the id/pwd you get in

[edit: do you mean 2 IP (internet protocol) addresses?, that is a 'cable thang' and also ADSL/DSL, but applies more to a network setup where you want direct internet connection for more than 1 PC - a single IP can also be networked but a few more hoops to clear]
    -----------------------
    should add to the main thread
    -OE also has some handy mail filtering to direct email to folders you've identified, to block senders, and other email management tools
    -other software does too, but i find OE pretty robust

9. hewee

hewee

I use Netscape because I feel it is safer the Outlook.
    But Outlook has an option to open downloads so you need to turn that off.
    You can also disable or remove the Windows Scripting Host with Noscript.exe.

http://service4.symantec.com/SARC/sarc.nsf/html/win.script.hosting.html

What can you do to protect yourself?

Script Blocking
    If you are a home or small business customer, you should be running Norton AntiVirus 2001 or later.
    Both programs can be configured to detect VBScripts when they are run, alert you to ones that are
    unknown or possibly malicious, and block them if necessary.

If you are using Norton AntiVirus 2001, a free program update that includes Script Blocking is
    available. Please run LiveUpdate to obtain this.
    If you are using Norton AntiVirus 2002, which includes Script Blocking, make sure that Script
    Blocking is enabled (the default).

10. slipe

slipe

I think it is that OE’s address book is vulnerable to being passed on that makes it a problem. The trick to use a phony name that starts with a number works for now until one of the sleazy little creeps that writes this stuff programs a virus to bypass an entry that starts with a number. My ISP only supports IE, so I switched over from Outlook and actually like it better. I’d use something like Eudora Lite otherwise.

11. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

jbcalg- Ok, we missed each other. I got it now. I thought you were refering to having 2 "internet" providers. Thats what I didnt get. I pay for the service of one and would hate to pay for two. Thanks.

12. jbcalg

jbcalg

DJ,
    no, you heard right - i have multiple ISPs but paying is a different story!

i use cable, which with [email protected] in financial problems has become 2 cable services @shaw and @home until the @home goes bye-bye
    -each needs different pop/smtp settings

i also maintain several websites, so must keep a variety of email addresses hooked in (webmaster, info, help, etc) - this is through a separate ISP (2 different sites, but they happen to use the same ISP)
    -so, more pop/smtp settings

but i only pay for one, the cable
    -although i do have dial up access to the others if needed

oh, yeah, i forgot! i also have a seldom used cheap like borscht AOL-lite account
    -with its own accounts, etc

guess i'm a multi faceted individual LOL

13. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

And Im worried about starting one site. Geesh.

14. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Ok Im not sure if this works or not so someone else figure it out.

I received e-mail sometime ago that said... to know you have been infected with a worm or virus affecting e-mail... enter !000
    in your adressbook. If you get mail returned to you addressed to
    !000 you'll know you are infected.

Why you know, you ask?

Well cause virus & trojans affecting e-mail send to every address it can send to listed in your addressbook, including !000. If its returned to you... you know what sent it. Not you!!

Savvy :)

15. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Its a hoax. Sorry. :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice