1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email Read Receipt Problem.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by packet22, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. packet22

packet22 Thread Starter

I'm having a very odd issue with read receipt problem. I have outlook 2007 on one computer and outlook 2003 on the other one it does this when i sent email from the 2007 and 2003 office. The issue is when i send a email message i have outlook requesting a read receipt for all of my sent mail and today im getting read receipts to messages that I have sent to a group of people but the email that the receipt is coming from I have not emailed anything to that email address.. i dont even know who the email address belongs to.. can someone help me out please !!! Thanks in advance. :confused:

2. kjjb0204

kjjb0204

Have you done a full malware scan? I'm no expert here, but I'm thinking maybe your address book was hijacked and your system is generating emails without your knowledge.

3. packet22

packet22 Thread Starter

I have alread ran spyware scan... it does it on two computer with outlook setup ... outlook on both of the computers are configured for the same email address... it only does it when i send an email to a certian group of people. The Read Receipt comes back with an unknown email address in the From: area.

4. kjjb0204

kjjb0204

what's the from: email address? Is it a company email or a personal email? Could it be an undeliverable notice?

5. packet22

packet22 Thread Starter

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Are you getting the receipts from everyone in this certain group, plus this unknown address?

Or do you get receipts from all but one person, and then get this unknown address? That one person may have the From address set wrong in their email program.

Of course if some people never send read receipts that could be hard to track down.

If you inspect the headers on the email, you may be able to track down where it is coming from. I'd be glad to take a look and see what I can see. To view the headers on Outlook 2003 (2007 should be similar), right click the message in the inbox and choose options, the Internet headers are displayed at the bottom and can be copied and pasted into notepad for easier viewing, or to send here. DO NOT paste the headers directly into a reply as any email addresses in the headers can be scanned by bots. You may want to remove the name part of all the email addresses (everything to the left of the @) before posting the headers for privacy.

Jerry

7. packet22

packet22 Thread Starter

There is no common email

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice