1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email restore

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nubtech, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nubtech

nubtech Thread Starter

I reinstalled my OS (Vista) and the Windows Mail that comes with the system that I used is prompting me to create a new account and I don't know how access my old windows mail account but have the old hardrive saved on a backup.

Any help?

2. pjhutch

pjhutch

Account information is store in the registry (C:\Documents and Settings\username\ntuser.dat) which you need to copy to a temp folder and use File, Load Hive in Regedit to read it. Then expand:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER (or what ever the hive is called):
    \Identities\{long number}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manger\Accounts to see what settings are stored.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Open Windows mail and go "File", "Import" then messages or addressbook etc and lead it to your backup. You may actually have to go into the backup and copy and paste your old WM folder to the desktop to have this work properly depending on what you refer to as "old hard drive backup".
    Here is where the folders should be:
    C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft

4. nubtech

nubtech Thread Starter

Pjhutch, I have no documents and settings file in my C drive nor do I have a ntuser.dat file anywhere so that eliminated that option. Also I have no Internet Account Manager file in my Microsoft file.

Rich-M, when I choose to import contacts it asks for a file type: CSV, LDIF, vCard, Windows Address Book File.

I tried all 4 which weren't able to detect the contacts in the file that I put on the desktop, so I tried to switch the search options to all files, and then the contacts appeared but were not able to select.

Moar help peez!

5. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    The "Documents and Settings" in Vista is now a hidden system file and is not accessible to the normal users, nor is there a need to.
    Rich-M's suggestion should have worked. You did succeed with the import of the "Mail account" settings?
    If you have not yet used the Windows mail, and want all your old mail back here is another very quick way.
    go to:
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail in your old hard disk and copy the whole folder you find there (Local folders) to your new hard disk and to the same location.
    Contacts. Easy way there is to go to (Old disk) users - username - and copy the whole of the "Contacts" folder across to your new hard disk.

6. pjhutch

pjhutch

The address book (wab file) normally lives in
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book on XP
    Try copying it to
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Microsoft\Address Book on Vista.

As for account settings, if you exported your OE settings, they will be store in a .iaf file somewhere otherwise you need to either visit your ISP's web pages or ring them to get your account information again.

7. davehc

First Name:
    David
    pjhutch. The OP says he reinstalled Vista. With respect, I think you may be diverting him with your reference to OE and "Documents and Settings"

8. pjhutch

pjhutch

Ah, I was assuming that he had upgrading from XP to Vista. So, I assume his old backup actually contains a back up of his old Vista setup...

Contacts can be copied direct from backup in c:\Users\username\Contacts and place them in the same location on your new Vista setup. No need to import them.

9. nubtech

nubtech Thread Starter

alright, I know how to get the contacts in there, that is quite easy. What my question was is how do I get the exact email address back. So say that there were emails stored in the address and I need them how would I contact my ISP and get them back? I would like the same email address so that I dont have to tell all my contacts a new address, and I had previous files and documents that I hadn't read yet and was saving.

So how do I access it once again

10. davehc

First Name:
    David
    there is a little of a one way exchange here.
    quote "Rich-M, when I choose to import contacts it asks for a file type: CSV, LDIF, vCard, Windows Address Book File.

I tried all 4 which weren't able to detect the contacts in the file that I put on the desktop, so I tried to switch the search options to all files, and then the contacts appeared but were not able to select."

So you now have your contacts?

Have you tried Rich-M's suggestion to import your accounts from your old hard drive?
    Not sure what you mean by Emails stored in the old addresses?

11. tech-win

tech-win

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice