1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email sending by itself

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by PaveFE, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Hey all,

I keep getting e-mails from various places saying that I sent them an e-mail with the "sobig" virus. Problem is, I'm not sending anything. I've downloaded all the patches that I know of, Norton Anti-Virus runs every night and doesn't find anything. Does this mean I have the virus but Norton doesn't find it? Why is my email sending things to people I don't even know? How can I make it stop?

Thanks,
    PaveFE

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

if you've taken all those precautions and your AV is working - then odds are that your email address is being spoofed from an infected machine that has your address in it's address book (ie from a friend, business contact, etc)

nothing you can do but continue to keep your PC and AV up to date, and just ignore/delete the messages

if you want to double check, use the sobig removal tool here

3. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Thanks, I thought that was happening, but I'm not the computer geek I want to be yet.

4. TheWeaselBoy

TheWeaselBoy

What email service are you using?? Is it a local Outlook (express or otherwise) account? Or is it Hotmail/yahoo/etc webmail. Webmail accts, you cant do much about, except keep your delete finger in good working order. If its not a webmail account, then you probably have something on your computer, or not. The SoBig virus spoofs email addresses, so someone who has your addy in their book and is infected can send emails using your addy. Fun, yes? Download the "stinger removal tool" just to be safe, it does very well, im too lazy to find the link, so just google it.

5. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Thanks for everything, I've done all that and I don't have it.
    BTW I use Outlook with Comcast (junk)

6. Perfesser

Perfesser

Just FYI...most of the 'returned' or 'failed' messages I get show that the origin of the infected message was Comcast (which is NOT our ISP).

7. rachag03

rachag03

Would it most likely be spoofing if we have 3 seperate Hotmail addresses and only one of these is sending out emails?

8. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

I don't know, but mine has almost subsided.

9. TheWeaselBoy

TheWeaselBoy

yeah, it looks like this wave of the virus has slowed down... guess we have to wait until next week when some jackass script kiddie mods the code again.... <sigh>

10. TheWeaselBoy

TheWeaselBoy

rachag, hotmail is riddled with the virus... just do what i tell my users... keep those delete fingers in shape, and youll be fine.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/161516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice