1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

email sends to list w/o identifying

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Gen, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gen

Gen Thread Starter

Others do this, why can't I?
    Example: I receive emails (from an msn user) where the word "Unidentified" appears at the "To" line. I have Outlook Express 5. How can I similarly send emails without all parties knowing names/addresses of other recipients? Thanks.

2. ian.t

ian.t

You need to type the recipients names in the BCC box of Outlook
    - as opposed to the CC (carbon Copy).

BCC = Blind Carbon Copy, so recipients will not know who else has received the message.

Is this what you mean ?

ian.t

3. Gen

Gen Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. Yes I understand the bcc method, but can't believe this is how others are handling esp. when they're mailing the same 20 or so recipients, going through the same 20 (address book-bcc) steps over & over. Also, what does it mean, when I see an email come through to me and the address line at top reads: "To" and then "Unidentified" is the word replacing what would usually appear as all the recipient names & their addresses. Does MSN have some special "group" format where you can combine names & addresses desired so as to just click once on whatever name you've assigned the group. Does Outlook Express have this capability. Thanks again.

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

I believe ian.t is correct. Be happy to test it out with you if you like?

5. TechChick

TechChick

If you send an e-mail using Outlook Express 6 to people listed only in the BCC field, the TO: field says Undisclosed-Recipient.

6. ian.t

ian.t

I think you may also be thinking of a process called 'mail merge' whereby with a click of a button you can send a batch of emails to people - rather than typing them all in. Quite often used with MS Word etc for printing letters, sending documents etc

Is this what you mean :)

ian.t

7. TechChick

TechChick

You can create a group in Outlook Express which contains the addresses of many people. Then when you want to e-mail all of them, just send a message to that group address.

8. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

To create a group
    You can send a message to a group of people by creating a mailing group (or "alias") containing their names. Then, you just type the group name in the To box when you send messages. You can create multiple groups, and contacts can belong to more than one group.

In the Address Book, select the folder in which you want to create a group, click the New button on the toolbar, and then click New Group. The Properties dialog box opens.

In the Group Name box, type the name of the group.

You can add people in several ways to the group—and in some cases to your address book as well.

To add a person from your address book list, click Select Members, and then click a name from the address book list.

To use a directory service, click Select Members, and then click the Find button. Select a directory service from the drop-down list at the end of the text box.
    After finding and selecting an address, it is automatically added to your address book.

To add a person directly to the group without adding the name to your address book, type the person's name and e-mail address in the lower half of the Properties dialog box, and then click Add.

To add a person to both the group and your address book, click New Contact and fill in the appropriate information.

Repeat for each addition until your group is defined.

Note
    To view a list of your groups separately from the address book listings, in the Address Book, click the View menu, and then make sure that Folders and Groups has a check mark beside it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice