1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email spoofed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jennem, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jennem

jennem Thread Starter

My business email is a prodigy.net email, previously held by Yahoo, now by AT&T. I access it both through Outlook Express and mail.yahoo.com.

The email address has been spoofed--that is, someone is sending out tens of thousands of emails and making it seem like it's coming from my email address. (It's not, I've checked every possible Sent box and have changed the password and security information repeatedly.)

It's been going on for nearly a year. I get hundreds of bounce-backs daily (filtered to Spam). I get reported for spamming all the time and the account has been closed down once.

I am simply not in a position to change the email address--it would mean losing touch with hundreds of clients and discarding thousands of dollars of printed material. Is there anything that can be done to stop this? AT&T was of no help at all.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi jennem, and welcome to TSG.

Sorry to say that you can't do much about it, short of abandoning the address. By now, it is most likely on one or more lists that are sold or traded between spammers. In order to spoof your address as the sender, they do not need to go through your account or even use the Yahoo / AT&T mail servers.

EDIT: I don't know what kind of business you are running or what kind of clients you have or hope to attract, but you may want to switch from Yahoo / AT&T type accounts to a mail service that appears more up to date and professional.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505143_162-28646163/how-professional-is-your-e-mail-address/

3. jennem

jennem Thread Starter

We bill over $1million a year and it would probably cost us over $100K in business this year if we switched to a different email address, as some of our clients only use us at very long intervals. We have authorization documents on file with many of the companies we work with and it also costs a hefty fee every time we need to change the information on file. We are considering a gradual switch-over, but it will probably take at least a year and even then we would need to maintain both addresses pretty permanently. Then of course there are the brochures, letterhead, business cards--all very expensive and we have a large stock.

We do not work for the general public so the lack of a personalized email address is not an issue. We would happily have changed over years ago but for the aforementioned problems, and so have actually paid to keep a defunct Prodigy email.

4. mobo

mobo

Just went through this after more than 10 Years and thousands of contacts with my main email address. Its awful but like you already heard, there is nothing on your end you can do except to abandon the address. These things can happen many ways and not eve directly be caused by you but by someone who may have had you listed as a contact on their computer...Its sad but you can prepare for the change one customer at a time by first setting up a new email and at each customer you contact, inform them of the change and ask them to changeover to the new email. Do this until you are satisfied then remove the old address..

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Just curious, is the spam seem the same type?

There is a way to trace it, but it will need to be done by the person that received it. I don't know if we can see the original email details.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice