1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Email suddenly wants password

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Velveedah, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velveedah

Velveedah Thread Starter

I've been using Outlook or Thunderbird for years, and suddenly I'm being asked for my password at whichever one I set as default. I'm also getting my AT&T webmail (different email address) sent to my Outlook box ever since I gave in and typed in my password.
    I can't remember what I've changed lately, other than uninstalling Worldnet Accelerator, and I might have done that after the trouble started.
    I've checked my settings all over the place and can't find the problem, though I must say that I don't have a good handle on internet, dialup and mail settings- it's alien territory every time I venture in.
    I checked my Firewall too.
    Any suggestions? Thanks, V'dah

XP Pro
    Dell Dimension 8300
    dialup. not fun.

2. vandy013

vandy013

When it prompts you for your password, and you type it in, does it log in?

Also, just for clarification, do you mean that it only happens with the program that is set as default. And not with the other one? I'm assuming you have tried changing this setting, right, and it still does this?

3. Velveedah

Velveedah Thread Starter

In Thunderbird, (my default at the moment) I get the Enter your Password box as soon as I open the program, and the status bar at the bottom of the screen shows "host contacted, sending login information". It's kind of stalls in this process because I won't give it the password.
    In Outlook, I am not getting the box now (I was when it was set as default), and the status bar shows the mail taking a very long time to load. One message (text) took about 2 minutes.
    My AT&T Webmail account asks for my login information then takes me to my webmail inbox page which is now empty (it all moved to Outlook earlier) and won't receive any messages. The most recent message addressed to my webmail account was your reply, but it arrived in my Outlook program. This is weird stuff!

>When it prompts you for your password, and you type it in, does it log in?
    Yes, that's what happened earlier with Outlook as the default, and that's when the contents of my webmail inbox moved to Outlook.

I did enter the password for Worldnet webmail - that's the only one I have. I've never used logins for Outlook or Thunderbird. I'm not on a network, so I just open these things up and use 'em. Til today anyway.
    What have I done now?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice