1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

email with no sender??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by pc_loser, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pc_loser

pc_loser Thread Starter

I've been getting alot of mail lately from Microsoft this and Microsoft that, telling me to download a "critical patch." There seems to be the same form letter, but the attachments have different names, all followed by .exe. Now I'm not stupid, I get all the updates I need, and I always delete these emails. They actually go to my bulk folder in Yahoo mail, and lately I've been just emptying the folder without checking who the mail is from.

Well...today I got an email in my inbox this time. I didn't open it though, because there was nothing in the "sender" column, and the subject read only "letter." What I want to know is how I even GOT the email if there was no sender??

Thanks in advance.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

easy enough to do - spoof the sender as a blank, same way mass mailers and virii spoof all the other headers

yahoo has been getting hit real hard with the 'ms attachment - swen virus' emails - vicious circle as they keep recycling

i use yahoo as a throw away and have to clean out the bulk mail 2-3 times a day or else it fills up

hopefully the *ahem* users will wise up and realize they have a nasty virus

keep deleting them, turn the bulk mail filter on, keep your AV up to date (even though yahoo uses an AV filter before you download)

like bad food - this too will pass ;)

3. pc_loser

pc_loser Thread Starter

I too am emptying my Yahoo mail several times a day. And yes, I do hope it passes. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice