1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emailing From Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kammmie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

Through these helpful threads I was able to learn how to click on an email address in a field and have Microsoft Outlook open up with the email address in the "to" field.

I was wondering if it is possible to have a standard "body" open up as well when I click on the email address and if field information can fill in automatically. For example, I want a standard email to open up when I click on an email address that states that an order has shipped and if possible, I want the ship date and tracking number to fill in automatically.

Thanks!
    Kammmie

2. lp092jl

lp092jl

One easy way to do this is through an MS Word mail merge.

If you have a standard subject line and standard message body, a mail merge can let you input fields relating to your shipped record.

All you really need is your Word template with your standard body.

Say that your body template reads:

Code:
    Dear [CustomerName],

Thank you for selecting [CompanyName] for your shipping needs.   Your order number is [OrderID].  Your shipment will arrive to you within 4-7 business days. Please contact [EmployeeName] at [EmpPhoneNum] if you have any questions.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.
    In your Word doc to start/setup the mail merge, go to Tools, Letters and Mailings, and select Mail Merge Wizard..

You will select E-mail messages for your document type. For your starting document, you will use the "current document". You will then have to select your recipients, select Browse... under existing list, and direct your connection to your database query/table that has the fields that you need to send.

The next step is the message preview, you can flip through the records in your table/query. Click the "Complete the Merge" link, you can then select your email field on the "To:" drop down list as well as create your Subject header ("Subject line:"). You can select HTML for your mail format.

With the mail merge, you have the option of selecting a number of recipients that you can email at once. Each email that is sent can be personalized to include the details of their record.

When your doc has been created/completed, go ahead and save it for the connections to stay in place.

In your database, if you are using a form to input your data, you can also create a hyperlinked field (perhaps a label or command button) that you can click on to bring up the Word merge template. When the doc appears, you can follow the mail merge prompts.

I hope this helps.

3. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

Take a look at Access macro's there is a "Send Object" action that you can use to create an e-mail message.

This can be made more useful with VBA using, this is a sample of a Macro converted to VBA:

Function mcrSend_report()

On Error GoTo mcrSend_report_Err

'DoCmd.SendObject acReport, "ObjectName", "HTML(*.html)", "EmailAddressHere", "", "", "test subjest", "test message", True, ""

mcrSend_report_Exit:
    Exit Function

mcrSend_report_Err:
    MsgBox Error$
    Resume mcrSend_report_Exit

End Function

The macro is easy to work with you can use it to attach reports, excel, word etc converted from your table data. You don't have to do any coding with an Access Macro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice