1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emails being sent out - but not by me!! Help me PLZ

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bluecat, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluecat

bluecat Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am not computer savvy at all - so go easy:eek:

I have Verizon DSL and AOL. I'm realizing that AOL is a problem but it's just easy to use.
    All my email is done through AOL. For several months I have been having emails being sent to people that are either in my address book or NOT in my address book. I do not send the emails, they send themselves. I only know when it happens if the email is also sent to me. The emails do NOT show in my "sent" folder so it's like my computer is not sending them yet they show my address on the "from" line. Also, old emails that i sent to certain people months ago will be sent to OTHER people who I didn't want them sent to. Yikes, this has caused some upset!

It's difficult to explain all this so I'm hoping somebody knows what I'm talking about and can help me. Computer guy I took it to says I don't have a virus. Why is this happening?
    I'm terrified to write certain things in my emails for fear that this "problem" will send them out randomly.

BTW, when i called AOL for help they blamed it on Verizon because they say Verizon is my server...is this correct?

Please help me

2. Augie65

Augie65

Your email address was probably harvested from email headers. The only way I know to stop your email address being used is to change it. I have a Yahoo email address that I use for public use and only use my private address to family. You just have to be careful and there is no guarantee. Here is a good explanation of how your address could be harvested.
    How do Spammers get my Email Address?

3. Aixtase

Aixtase

Hi,

You said you don't have any viruses. What about spyware? The difference being that spyware can "steal" information (keystrokes etc) from your computer, whereas a virus (hence the name) wants to sometimes create havoc, sometimes multiply and send itself all over the place!

I had AOL once and hated it! I don't think they're right to blame it on Verizon, as you said you use AOL for your mail. Augie65 has a point about changing your address, though I would run a spyware checker beforehand.

For this I recommend Adaware: [URL="http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10399602.html?tag=lst-0-1[/URL]
    Or Spybot Search and Destroy (S&D):
    http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10122137.html

Good Luck!

Ed

4. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

AOL did the same thing to me and what I did to resolve the problem is discontinued the service. It was getting to be a real headache.

Do you have a lot of junk mail? Like more than usual? I was getting so many that it would fill up a whole page (50) of e-mails at once!

5. gijew

gijew

I would run my spyware and antivirus software to be sure that you don't have something on your machine. Otherwise you may have to change your e-mail address as your address was given to someone else or someone else is using it

6. bluecat

bluecat Thread Starter

Wow - thank you all for the replies. It sounds like I need to get rid of AOL and just use my Verizon with maybe a Yahoo mailbox.

I currently run Norton Security and Webroot's Spysweeper. I run them daily and everything has come back ok...besides some cookies or spyware (whatever the stuff is you get when you visit sites.)

If I think back - my friend (who has cable) had a hotmail mailbox about a year ago and this started happening to her first. Her mailbox would send out random emails to me. Then, a couple months later, it was MY problem. The computer guy said i had no viruses and only a small amount of spyware. That's when I bought the Webroot.

Bottom line, I guess I will cancel AOL. Would you give me any advice for the best way to go in regards to email?? Do I get a Yahoo address? Do I use my Verizon one? Does anyone here think a Registry cleaner/repair would help me -or does it even have anything to do with this problem? The link above included a browser checker but it wouldn't come up....is that something I need to do?

BTW, I don't think I get a lot of junk mail......maybe 5 pieces a day go to the spam folder.

I'm really grateful to all of you for the help and suggestions. On my own, I have no clue.

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

Bluecat:The above suggestions are very good.What I do now about email,is never download any email to my computer.I use the webmail function of my ISP's,so hopefully,reducing too a great degree any danger of infection.

8. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

Hey there Bluecat!

I have a Yahoo address that I use for anything that requires 'registration' on the web where I don't want to give out my email address that I use most of the time. For everything else, I use Microsoft Outlook and my ISP's address. My ISP allows 5 email addresses so I set up one for personal mail and then another for business.

To date (knock on wood), I've never had any problems. Yahoo mail isn't as fast as my ISP, so for personal stuff, I just prefer the ISP.

It used to be much more simple. LOL

Bubblz

9. Aixtase

Aixtase

If you're looking for a good mail service, I strongly reccomend gmail - google's mail. You're given a 2Gb inbox, get a free "gtalk" chat service in the sidebar on the webpage and a reliable service (I have seen the site down about 3 times in 12 months).

You probably need to be "invited" by someone who already has it to create an account, so If you wish to sign up, just ask here or PM (private message) me and i'll send you an invite!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice