1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emails bounce back even though mail folder has 0 bytes

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jivvy, Jun 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Jivvy

Jivvy Thread Starter

Since Microsoft Mail doesn't seem to sync correctly, Outlook.com doesn't seem to support pop accounts ( and I was getting some "TLS API error" ), I logged in to the pop server with telnet:

telnet pop.secureserver.net PORT
    [​IMG]
    Which means 0 messages, 0 bytes, as I understand.

I use a gmail account to send an email to this pop account and it bounces back:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on how to fix this? Need more information?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    POP or IMAP, it doesn't matter... the mailbox itself seems to be the problem. Can you confirm what the mailbox size is?

And yes you are correct, it does mean #msg and #bytes of mailbox.

Outlook does support POP. It depends on the server.

3. Jivvy

Jivvy Thread Starter

Mailbox size is at least 3 gb. The mailbox was full and emails were bouncing back, so I used the default Microsoft Mail app that comes with windows to delete all the emails, however I was concerned that it was just deleting the emails that it downloaded from the server, so I repeated the deletion process using the Samsung Android email app on my phone. After doing that, I opened telnet to check if one of them had successfully deleted the emails, and it read 0 messages, 0 bytes. After waiting a day and several tests, emails still bounce back.

Here's the error with outlook.com.
    Blotting out ports probably not necessary, but they couldn't help you anyway:[​IMG]

Without outlook, I'm not sure how to see if somehow the mailbox size changed on the server after I deleted all the emails.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I see that you have a error message at the bottom of your posted image.

I would clear it up before trying anything else.

The following is from Google by searching on the error number.

The "error code 0x80090326" error is commonly caused by incorrectly configured system settings or irregular entries in the Windows registry. This error can be fixed with special software that repairs the registry and tunes up system settings to restore stability – download here.
    error code 0x80090326 - how to fix error - WikiFixes

https://wikifixes.com/errors/b/0x/error code 0x80090326/

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    DaveA, that error is from Outlook/Live/Hotmail.com... from what I can tell the error is with the Encryption Settings

Jivvy, port numbers does help. Nowadays you need encryption for E-Mail. If your incoming port is 110, then you would no use encryption. If your port is 995, then it needs SSL. For outgoing, you need port 587 and TLS (or STARTTLS).

If outlook.com still can't connect, or has issues try IMAP instead and if that fails contact your email provider that is using secureserver.net as its mail system.

Out of interest does your email that is having issues uses 2 Factor Authentication?

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I also saw this little tidbit:

upload_2019-6-13_8-3-10.png

Not sure if that applies to Windows Mail so I would suggest checking your connected email account directly online and make sure that your mailbox is not full.

Who is the provider of the email account you are having issues with?

7. Jivvy

Jivvy Thread Starter

I intended to check the mailbox directly with telnet, since I do not own the application version of outlook.
    Incoming port is 110, outgoing is 80. Settings for other devices say Security is none / no encryption.

I think Outlook.com is my provider.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You don't need to have Outlook application. You can use other ones like Mozilla Thunderbird (common alternative) but now I am confused and want to make sure I am on the same page as you as port 80 is used for HTTP traffic... not SMTP. (edit, I guess smtpout.secureserver.net does use port 80...)

It seems to be that you have a configuration issue somewhere. The secureserver.net seems to be part of GoDaddy so I take it this email address you are trying to sync into Outlook.com is your own email account (i.e. [email protected] as appose to [email protected]). I would recommend speaking to GoDaddy or whoever has your email account set up and make sure you can access your mailbox directly online and not through Outlook/apps so you can confirm if your mailbox is full or not.

9. Jivvy

Jivvy Thread Starter

Correct. GoDaddy is the provider, I was looking at the wrong account. I'll give them a call.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    No worries. They should have a web portal for you to look at your secureserver.net email. Hopefully that you can see if it's full or not (the bounce back suggests it is)... as to the error hopefully that can be solved by getting the correct settings for POP or IMAP retrieval. Let me know the outcome.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice