1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emails from Hotmail not getting through

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wallace320, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wallace320

wallace320 Thread Starter

My wife has a Hotmail account. Occassionally and seemingly randomly, emails that she sends to my email (a corporate email) are not getting through. Some of the time, she gets a bounce back reply message. Sometimes she doesn't. When she gets it, all it says is:

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed."

She says my email address is the only one that bounces back to her. I had my IT guy check on it from our end, and when he looks in the system he sees:

"Diagnostics-Code: smtp; 503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local email address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server".

My IT guy said the forums he checked out showed hundreds of Hotmail users having similar problems, but he didn't tell me anything about the possible solution (yet).

Any ideas????????

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From where does that message come? From a Hotmail server or a server at your company?

3. wallace320

First message is from Hotmail. Second one is from our corproate server.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand that second message. Is it associated with your wife's mail, saying that it got to your company's main mail server but it rejected it?

5. wallace320

The message, "This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed", is the message that my wife sees in the message that bounces back to her.

the message about the diagnostic is the one my IT guys sees when he looks on our sytem - I guess he finds script on there at the time my wife tries to send that email, and that diagnostic message is why he sees.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then my guess is that the company system is messed up at that point--a database unavailable or a local server down or an internal network link broken.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice