1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emails links to webpages not working

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by linderose, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linderose

linderose Thread Starter

Recently when I click on a link from an email to a web page, although Mozilla Firefox is my default browser, Internet Explorer often opens instead - but then only opens a google homepage and does not take me the the link site. Does anyone know what I can do about this?

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Are you sure your OS recognizes Firefox as the default browser? Just because you actively use Firefox more than you do Internet Exploder, doesn't necessarily mean your OS sees it as the default browser.

Perhaps the link in the email actually points to the google homepage you get even though it may look like it goes elsewhere.

Example: put your mouse over this link --> http://www.yahoo.com/ and look down at the status bar on the bottom of the window. Does it match what the link reads as?

When I see links in emails, I rarely ever click the link directly. 99.9% of the time I copy/paste the URL into my browser, for this very reason ;).

Another reason it brings up a google homepage could be because any traffic to that website could be redirected to Google's homepage.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice