1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emails not getting to me from 2 domains... Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blast9, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blast9

blast9 Thread Starter

I'm puzzled...

Can you advise me where I should start?

Recently started email correspondence with 2 separate new contractors who state their emails are being rejected.

One has kindly forwarded the huge error message by fax, which makes no sense to me, and there's too much to post here :)

Running a POP3 email server (VPOP3), wit Win XP SP1. the server connects to a server at Deman.net.

Running Mailscan for VPOP3 (Anti Virus software).

Have a DrayTek Router/Firewall correctly configured.

The broadband service provider is demon.net

Can anyone help?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Without an error message you probably won't be able to get too much help. What I would probably do is scan the message for the relevant code (usually its something along the lines of <5.X.X Error message> You don't need to include any part that is the original email or sensitive data but just saying someone can't email me isn't going to be enough to get this solved.

3. blast9

blast9 Thread Starter

Yes, sorry, I should give you more info:

The main pertinent info appears at the top of the message. there isn't a 4xx or 5xx error message, but:

The messsage states "This is a permanent error"

The message also shows our mailgate IP address in the following text:

"remote host mailgate.abc.co.uk [10.200.30.40] closed connection in response to HELO relay-1.mail.demon.net. retry timeout exceeded."

This seems to suggest our mail server is offline, but we're certainly receiving other emails OK.

This same message was sent to both the original senders.

Spoke to tech support demon.net who spoofed a message, and these got through OK.

One of the senders is also on demon...

Next step: Check my email server settings? These are certainly working OK for all other SMTP that comes in. its just 2 senders that have this problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice