emails show attachment when ther are none

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gwbush

I started receiving e-mails with paper clip showing there was an attachment on daily status reports, PayPal receipts, things that would never have an attachment. There were no attachments. I received messages that my outgoing e-mails also showed attachments. I had one today that said there was a virus in my attachment. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Elaine

Max19

Account Disabled
This tag often displays if the message contains embedded objects such as pictures.

This occurs if your message begins with the word "begin" followed by 2 blank spaces. That word is used to indicate the beginning of a real attachment, and OE mistakenly tries to create an attachment from the rest of your message. There is no known fix or workaround at this time, other than to avoid using the word "begin" with 2 spaces as the first word of your message. If you receive a message with such a bogus attachment, you can read the message by pressing Ctrl-F3 to view the source.

gwbush

Some of my email indicates an attachment when none was
included. This occurs both in outbound & incoming.
I have McaFee virus scan and it has this virus message:
C:\Windows\system\9B7D39 infected.
Thanks, Elaine in Dallas

I merged the two threads...

Elaine, we need to know the name of the virus that McAfee detected, that just appears to be the file. Until then we can't tell whether the problem you have is caused by the virus or whether there are any special measures necessary to remove it.

Has McAfee thoroughly cleaned it?

gwbush

I am receiving this virus warning:
C:\Windows\INETD.EXE W32/BADTRANS@MM.
When I try to clean this virus nothing happens, when
I try to delete the file, I get a message that the file was
deleted & to restore it but this virus warning continues
to appear.

Ok, I'm going to move you to the antivirus program and give you a couple of links that should help you clean the system. One is from McAfee, since that is what you have, and the other Symantec.

For once the McAfee instructions are fairly detailed, however I'm not sure they will work exactly as given. The glitch may come when you try to delete the virus file itself after editing win.ini and the registry. At this point the virus is still in memory since McAfee mentioned nothing about doing the operations in safe mode or restarting afterwards. So you may need to restart to finally delete the actual infected file if you haven't done it in safe mode.

http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/badtrans/removal.asp

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.13312@mm.html

McAfee's instructions for editing the Registry and Win.ini are very good.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online