1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emails without pictures

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Art31, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Art31

Art31 Thread Starter

Sometimes when someone sends me an email that includes pictures or a graphic of some sort, all I see is an empty box where the pictures should be and a smaller box with an X in it in the upper left hand corner of the larger box. The text is OK, just the pictures are missing. Is the problem within the emails that I am receiving or is it within my machine and the way it is set up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If it only happens "sometimes" then its likely that the problem exists with the person sending the email, in that they are not actually attaching the images.

Or the images are just links to the web (where the images are held) and the website is not available.

3. Art31

Art31 Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick response. When I click on insert, it sometimes gives me a choice to attach a file or a picture, othertimes, it only allows me to choose file attachment.
    In any case I end up doing the same thing, browse for the file name of the picture. Is one option better than the other? It seems either one gives you the same result.

4. sekirt

sekirt

When posting, always state your OS and version numbers along with names of programs involved in your problem. Always better to post too many details than not enough.

What do you use for email?

sekirt

5. Art31

Art31 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 Series Computer, with Intel Pentium 4, processor 2.660GHz, & 80 GB hard drive. My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition version 5.1.2600. I use Outlook Express 6 for my email. My OS is automatically updated so I should have all the latest downloads from Microsoft including service pack .

I use the following programs for my digital photos:

Lexmark Photo Center
    Dell Picture Studio
    HP Image Zone Express
    Photosuite 4
    Adobe photoshop Starter Edition

6. sekirt

sekirt

Your original question was answered by kiwiguy. But this may help with the insert problem.

If you are successful in embedding pictures (at least sometimes) and you have SP2, you probably have your settings correct. The ones that normally need changing are:
    OE->Tools->Options

1) Security Tab.
    Check "Internet Zone."
    2) Uncheck "Block images and other external content in HTML email."
    3) Read Tab
    Uncheck "Read all messages in plain text."
    4) Check "HTML" under the heading "Mail Sending Format"

Only other thing I can think of, if it won't let you insert a picture is to be sure and click your mouse in the message area before clicking to insert. It has to be activated.

sekirt

7. laceycat

laceycat

Well I'm glad I scoured deeper into this forum as since we've upgraded our pc etc with SP2, some settings are wonky and now I can see pictures again in Outlook Express. Thanks sekirt. :)

8. Art31

Art31 Thread Starter

For the past two days my daughter-in-law has been trying to send me some text with an enclosed picture (Jpeg File). I still get the empty rectangle with the red x. The first time she forwarded it to me just as she received it. When I did not get the picture she saved the picture and tried sending it with insert, attach file-still no luck. Funny thing is that when I click reply and send it back to her the picture is there. However, when I click on send a message pops up from Outlook Express stating "One or more of the pictures in this message could not be found. When you send this message these pictures will not be included. Are you sure you want to send this message?" Yet they do show up on her machine.

As I mentioned before this does not happen all the time. Some pictures do get through to me.

I have followed Sekirt's advice and made the four changes he recommended.

Would there be any other suggestions?

In any event, I would like to thank Sekirt & Kiwiguy. I really appreciate their efforts.

9. sekirt

sekirt

laceycat
    (y)

sekirt

10. sekirt

sekirt

This one is basic, I should have included it....

OE->Tools->Options. Send Tab. Click HTML button and be sure Send pictures with message is checked off.

sekirt

11. Art31

Art31 Thread Starter

I just checked & the send pictures with message was checked.

12. sekirt

sekirt

There are so many problems that come up because of spyware, maybe posting a Hijack This Log will show something. Download from here. Not zipped, so you can save it to a folder and then run it.

http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe

Close all open windows and run Hijack This. Click 'Do a system scan and save a logfile.'

Copy the entire log in notepad and paste it here. Do not fix anything yet because most items are normal or needed. Hopefully someone here will analyze the log.

About the only other thing I can suggest is to reinstall OE:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

sekirt

13. Art31

Art31 Thread Starter

I did what you suggested regarding Hijack This. If I post this info, it's out there for all to see. Will my computer be at risk?

Could they not have used another name other than "hijackthis"? The name itself scares me.

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

14. sekirt

sekirt

Computers are being "hijacked" by spyware at an alarming rate. The author decided to fight back with an attitude and named it Hijack This.

If you read some of these threads, you will not reach the bottom of the page without seeing at least 1 log posted - probably many more. Your computer wouldn't be in any danger.

sekirt

15. Art31

Art31 Thread Starter

sekirt,

Thanks again for the advice.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
    Scan saved at 3:45:56 PM, on 1/29/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Lexmark\PHOTOC~1\LXBLKsk.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lexmark\Lexmark Photo Center\MemoryCardManager.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_server.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\MMDiag.exe
    C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopOE.exe
    C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Arthur Blake\My Documents\hijackthis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Desktop Search Capture - {7c1ce531-09e9-4fc5-9803-1c2956615786} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIE.dll
    O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXBLKsk] C:\PROGRA~1\Lexmark\PHOTOC~1\LXBLKsk.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MemoryCardManager] C:\Program Files\Lexmark\Lexmark Photo Center\MemoryCardManager.exe -startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mm_server] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_server.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DIGStream] C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9239E4EC-C9A6-11D2-A844-00C04F68D538} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=34738&clcid=0x409
    O16 - DPF: {31932A5C-9234-4377-A920-72E7DD340DB4} (Snapfish File Upload ActiveX Control) - http://www.yorkphoto.com/YorkUpload.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C} (cpbrkpie Control) - http://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/1435/ftp.coupons.com/v3123/cpbrkpie.cab
    O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/SymAData.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D62B5127-8D03-4175-BA71-E0041595DA4B} (UDConnect Class) - http://goto.tria-com.net/html/TriacomUD_1.0.0.3ie.cab?
    O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/ActiveData.cab
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: LexBce Server - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice