1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emails wont send because my server has a Dynamic IP address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by redmonkie, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redmonkie

redmonkie Thread Starter

Hello Everyone

I have an email server which Ive just setup to send network management alarms and reports. It sends emails find to other email addresses Ive created from my mail server but when I try sending them to my hotmail or any other known email address I get :

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[email protected]
    Error Type: SMTP
    Remote server (178.239.87.2) issued an error.
    hMailServer sent: RCPT TO:<[email protected]>
    Remote server replied: 550 #5.7.1 Your access to submit messages to this e-mail system has been rejected.

I've tried google it but all I can find is that its todo with my mail server on a Dynamic IP address. Is this a known issue and is there a way around it?

Many thanks in advance.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The remote mail server (at IP address 178.239.87.2 in this particular case) is probably configured to not trust any e-mails coming from servers having a dynamic IP address. Spammers may set up temporary rogue mail servers using such addresses.

Does your reporting software require require the use of a local mail server or can it use SMTP to send messages through any server?

3. redmonkie

redmonkie Thread Starter

I'm using Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold v11. The problem I have is that it has to use a mail server that doesn't require authentication. Hence why I've configured my own mail server.
    I would use any other SMTP server but dont know of any that does not require authentication.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is an upgrade to a newer version of WhatsUp Gold out of the question? It looks like Ipswitch added SMTP authentication starting with version 12.

5. redmonkie

redmonkie Thread Starter

Unfortunately our licence does not extend to version 12. I'm guessing there's no other way around this is there?

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am not sure if such a product even exists but the only thing that comes to mind would be some kind of local mail server application that could simulate an e-mail client app and handle the user authentication to resend messages using an SMTP connection to another server.

7. redmonkie

redmonkie Thread Starter

I'm not 100% sure what you mean?

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    As a hypothetical example ...

You either have or find an e-mail service provider that you are sure will not be blocked by your recipients' mail servers. The mail server has to support SMTP access for sending e-mails. Let's call this the real mail server.

A program like Microsoft Outlook Express for Windows is an e-mail client application. It allows the user to compose an email and then send it through the server that requires user name and password authentication. The user enters the user name and password and has Outlook Express remember them for future use.

You find yourself an e-mail server program that instead of acting like a mail server that attempts to relay messages through another server, it behaves as it were Outlook Express. It first acts as a mail server and accepts messages sent by your reporting software and then behaves like Outlook Express and logs into the real mail server, using the previously saved user name and password and sends the report through the real mail server.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I believe some of the big ISPs has no authenication like Comcast and Cox, but I would have to check.

can you confirm that your incoming mail server being hosted by someone or is it in-house?

10. redmonkie

redmonkie Thread Starter

It is in-house. I use hmail server.

11. redmonkie

redmonkie Thread Starter

Tried both comcast and cox and they don't accept unauthorized users :(

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    wow, comcast was doing it... i guess they changed that due to spammers

from my knowledge and experience from work, error code 550 is usually a relay issue, as in you are not allowed to use thier smtp servers without authorization. Since your email server does not have the relay function so you could email through that, what you could do is set up a dummy account with your ISPs service (if they have email) and then use that login for the SMTP authentication. One cavet with that is that if you use that, the emails will show the smtp's email account, not the actual senders. All emails will need a Reply To Address set up.

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    That's the root of redmonkie's problem. In post #3 they mention that their older reporting software does not support authentication when sending mail. Upgrading the software to a newer version that does support it may mean big $$$.

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    ahh my mistake.

I found a list of SMTP servers that show secure/not secure. You may not need an account with those. Worse case you can create an email account just for the login like I mentioned before. Looks like hotmail.com/live.com, earthlink.net and yahoo.com may not use authentication/secure.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...il/a_id/51171/~/droid-2---email-set-up#manual

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice