1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EMBED tag not working

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rds33, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rds33

rds33 Thread Starter

After a recent SP2 upgrade to IE 5.5, it now refuses to play a .mid file created with the EMBED tag.

(EMBED SRC="hb.mid" AUTOSTART=true)

It worked consistently before the upgrade. I did a Repair on IE/OE. Didn't help.

Any idea what's happened? How do I fix this? I put the web page up on two different servers. Neither worked.

Netscape 4.7, which I use to test web page features, plays the midi just fine, although it doesn't display the animated .gif - just shows the first frame. Netscape has always been balky at displaying animated gif's. I mention this just to show that the servers are delivering the midi file.

If you'd like to look at it and check the source -
    http://home.pacbell.net/rds33/helen/

All suggestions appreciated.

(This post also appears under the Windows/OS category - probably a no-no. I'm a newbie, so tell me if this is unacceptable)

2. rds33

rds33 Thread Starter

After talking with friends, I decided to replace the good old, simple EMBED tag with the absurdly long, complicated OBJECT command.

But it worked!

I've known for a long time that EMBED was someday going to be replaced by OBJECT. I guess that day has come. Perhaps the IE SP2 upgrade did just that.

Take a look at the (ugh) new source now using OBJECT:

http://home.pacbell.net/rds33/hal/index.html

I guess you can close this one. -rds33

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I was able to hear the music on both.

(EMBED SRC="hb.mid" AUTOSTART=true) is what you had & Im no expert but its not closed is it?

shouldn't it be (EMBED SRC="hb.mid" AUTOSTART=true)(/EMBED)

I really don't know ... but hal will be happy Im sure

Savvy :)

4. rds33

rds33 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Catherine.

What release of IE are you using?

I've never used the </EMBED> tag because my documentation never specified it. I've used EMBED for years. It's short and simple [and very powerful]. It still works for streaming video...which is strange.

It stopped working [on my PC] after the SP2 upgrade, so of course I blame it.

-rds33

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice