1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Embedded Excel Object flipped when opened in Word XP

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by malacatena, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. malacatena

malacatena Thread Starter

Q: Has anyone seen this problem and is there a patch or setting for Word XP that fixes it?

We have a document created in Word 97 with an embedded Excel Spreadhseet object displaying a chart.

When we open the document in Word 97, everything is normal.

When we open the document in Word XP the chart is rotated 180 degrees around the vertical axis. The chart is right side up, but the left side of the chart is on the right and all the letters are reversed.

When I double-click the object to edit it the chart flips around to normal. When I exit edit mode (without making any changes) it flips back.

When we convert the Excel Worksheet object to an Excel Chart object in Word 97, save the file, and open in Word XP the chart displays normally.

The problem is that we have an automated PDF converter that uses Word XP, so when we create the PDF, it is created with the reversed chart. We are not staffed to open every Word 97 document and convert spreadsheets to charts. How can we fix this without installing Word 97 on the converter?

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> Has anyone seen this problem/is there a patch or setting for Word XP

No/don't know.

>> The problem is we have an automated PDF converter that uses Word XP

Would it work/help at all to use CutePDF to print the docs (without physically opening them -- you'd have to set it as default printer first)?

[http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp]

HTH,
    Andy

3. malacatena

Andy,

Thank you for your help. For multiple business reasons CutePDF will not be an option.

If I find an answer I'll post it.

Mark

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

Sorry ; good luck.

5. malacatena

The solution is in the MS Support Note titled Pictures in documents that were created in an earlier version of Office appear flipped in Office XP and Office 2003 ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312838 ).

In addition to XP SP2 or above a new registry key (QFE_FlipPictures) must be created and set > 0. See the support note for details.

Mark

6. XL Guru

XL Guru

Congrats, & thanks for posting the solution. Yet another reason not to upgrade from Office 2K, I guess. ;)

Rgds,
    Andy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/359855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice