1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Embedded quicktime media too slow to open

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by wallacebiggs, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallacebiggs

wallacebiggs Thread Starter

Trying to get Quicktime to load a separate window from a text cue. It works, but the file takes forever to load--2" movie takes 25". So I doubt if streaming will work either, though I don't know as I haven't been able to figure out how to do that either. Here's the markup I'm using that will open a separate window with controller and centering. (Meaning everything is hunky dory except for being too slow to be useful.)

<a href="http://www.tigeroutdoor.com/Tiger_snaps/movies/short-pant-scrapes.AVI">bare-legged</a>

(If you want to see what it does, go to tigeroutdoor.com/backpack and find the highlighted 'bare-legged' just above Chapter 3 of this book-length page.)

I've also tried sending it to a separate file that has the more lengthy markup for object embedding. It does the same thing, only no controller, window isn't centered and no background. I've tried to set up streaming for this file, but I can't get it to load at all then.

I'm on a Mac PowerBook G4 running 10.4.1. I've tried Safari, Mozilla and Explorer and get the same results. I find other websites using QuickTime doing exactly what I want--though typically using image instead of text for the cue--and I can't see their markup any different from mine. I'm taking an AVI file directly from camera to hard drive to web file. Does it need massaging through something? Do I need markup somewhere else in the file? Is AVI a poor format for this? I'm kind of dumb on this stuff, and I'm out of ideas. Thanks for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice