1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

embedding video media files

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by clairetoche, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clairetoche

clairetoche Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to stream some windows media files (.wmv) from a normal http server and am having problems: they buffer the entire file before playing. Does anyone know if this is due to the server not supporting streaming or is there a parameter that needs to be specified to allow this?
    I have already specified the param 'autostart' but this makes no difference.
    Thanks for any help,

Claire.

2. cnelson04

cnelson04

I belive this has to do with the sever..I think. who is hosting you? Most free severs don't allow streaming videos...:( good luck. :)

BTW welcome to TSG. Enjoy your stay. :)

3. clairetoche

clairetoche Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for replying.
    It's not a free server, it's www.myserverworld.com but I haven't been able to get an answer from them yet as to whether they do support it or not...
    Their FAQ section mentions Quicktime and Flash but of course they are supported anyway, aren't they? Since they are separate plugins that require downloading...

I'll keep looking!

Claire.

4. Crimson_wake

Crimson_wake

Here's an idea.

If you're paying for the hosting and it allows for streaming media, use an FTP to upload to your site. Make sure the file is in FLV if it's a video, and then use the flash button in your editor.

I use CMS as well - e107 portal - and that's how I get my videos to stream online.

Granted, the majority are very small. I'm trying to get a 4 minute one to work now (as I type this) and I'm hoping it will begin playing whilst downloading.

Good Luck, my friend.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice