1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emergency! Computer caught in restart loop!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tech for Glory, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tech for Glory

Tech for Glory Thread Starter

Greetings,

I posted this in games, but it probably fits here better.

I have a computer here that is stuck in a restart loop. It will get to the WindowsXP loading screen, then the monitor will flicker, then go dark. Then the computer will restart. It does this without fail.

I tried turning it off and unplugging it. Then I tried starting it in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and Last Known Good Configuration, and they all do the same thing. They will get to a point and then, blink! restart.

I just got The Sims 2 (bought legally, not downloaded) and it asked if I wanted to install the version of Direct X available on the CD (9.0c, maybe?). When that was finished, that is when the computer restarted, and then I got caught in the loop.

Help! EA's support sucks completly; I won't be able to hear back from them until Monday or Tuesday!

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. Tech for Glory

Hey, thanks. I searched all over their damn knowledge base. I hate that freakin' thing. I will have to try the first one out; I don't think the second one applies to this situation.

4. Tech for Glory

I tried those links, but to no avail; neither of them helped. Then I tried installing Windows over the original directory, without touching the file system. Everything seems to go okay until it couldn't find the Shell32.dll file. Now the new installation is all goofed up!

It's the same CD that I used to install the OS in the first place, and it found shell32 that time, so why is it not seeing anything this time?

5. Tech for Glory

Try, try again. I tried re-installing the OS, despite the shell32 error, and luckily it found it! w00t! So the OS has been freshly reinstalled. Quite annoying, but at least we managed to do it without fragging the file system.

Thanks for all your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!