1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emergency: How do I recover this file?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Fractalogic, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fractalogic

Fractalogic Thread Starter

Hey all!

I accidentally deleted an Acronis TrueImage backup file. Don't ask me if I have a backup, this was the backup. The file has the standard TrueImage backup extension TIB and it's 533 MB in size. It wasn't actually me who deleted it, it was TrueImage itself. It's a long story, and a support case with Acronis support is started.

What are the chances that I could recover this file? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Fractalogic

I also know the name and location of the file. It was named MyBackup__2009-12-30.tib and it was stored at D:\My Backups. What is the best practice for recovering this type of files? What software do I need?

It does not have to be a free software. I will gladly buy a license for a proprietary software if it's really good and can help me recover this file.

3. Fractalogic

I have installed Recuva 1.40.525 and it successfully found 9 of the 10 or 11 lost files, depending on how you count. Let me clarify that a little bit. From the beginning there were 10 backup files with the TIB file extension. That was before TrueImage decided to merge (consolidate) these into one single file, and it did this in complete radio silence, without my consent and without a single notice. Like I said, it's a big story. But main thing is there were 10 files from the beginning, these were merged into 1 file, then this 1 file got deleted by mistake.

Now Recuve is listing 9 files, but it ignores 2 files. Does anyone use Recuva around here? Can someone tell my why it ignores the 2 files? Can I tell it to show me those 2 files?

I would like to get back to the point where I had the 10 individual files. That would be best. But I would be happy if I could at least get back the 1 consolidated backup file, at least.

Is no one interested in helping me with this?

4. franca

franca

Have you tried system restore !!!!

5. Fractalogic

Isn't System Restore designed to revert the system back to a previous state, rather than recover user files? I don't see how this could help in this situation. Please explain (!!!!).

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Data can't always be recovered. If free utilities like Recuva can't do it, you only other option is a professional data recovery company which will charge hundreds of dollars.

Acronis has a consolidation setting. You may have not set it manually to the selection of your choice, but it didn't happen all on its own. Go through all your Acronis settings very carefully.

7. jesseyoung

jesseyoung

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009400