Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

emergency motherboard change

914 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  knailhead 
#1 ·
please help my nightmare... I recently attempted to change my computer case and in the process fried my motherboard (Abit PC-7) long story... i went out immediately and got a new one (intel d865gbf). the problem I am encountering is that now the bios is loading up and the drives are recognized in the bios, but when i boot from the windows disk it won't recognize them. this is in regards to the setup windows/repair options screen. before the problem i had 2 separate boots (one for audio work, the other for general use) and each one had a separate drive and os to load from. now nothing loads up. if i try to boot from the drives it just says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device" does anyone have any ideas??

#3 ·
sorry, i should have been more in depth with that. yes, i can boot off the cd, and get to the repair windows option. when selected it brings me to dos and says "the path or file specified is not valid" and brings me to c:\> when i try to do a 'dir' of the directory, it says the same thing. i type in 'map' and it tells me only the a: and d: are availible. if i go to one and try to go back to c: it says the same thing... invalid.. i'm not even able to format the drive because once in dos the drives won't register. I am basically trying to get my old boot setups back if it's possible, but it's looking more and more like it's not possible. I've tried different configurations of the cabling, jumper settings etc. to see if i can boot from one of the drives, but it's the same all around. any help or suggestions is greatly apprieciated.

#4 ·
what os? if xp is it oem disk, retail full version, etc,

#5 ·
if you need to format use the mfr program, but you may have to reset the bios to get the hdd to recognize, make sure the hdd is seen by the bios. then you should be able to format if you have the right kind of copy of an os disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.