1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EMERGENCY!!! where are the files from my desktop after upgrading from win7 to 8??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by gamerchick999, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gamerchick999

gamerchick999 Thread Starter

hi all,
    basically i think i've screwed up big time.
    i was running win 7 as normal editing some photos when it suddenly froze and logged me out. when i logged back in i couldn't do anything with the desktop- just wouldn't let me click on anything on there. i'm a pro photographer and needed to get to the photos on my desktop. i called up a guy out of gumtree and he came round to sort it. basically he didn't really know much. he just ignored the virus and said he'd install win8 for me and said that that would get rid of the virus, my stuff would be back and i'd have win8. after a few HOURS he finally managed to install win 8 but couldn't see my photos or programs or anything (looking in the ' windows old' folder. there's nnearly £700 pounds worth of photos on there!! (didn't get chance to back them up :()
    any ideas?

2. gamerchick999

update: started in safe mode and can see all my stuff!! there properties were set to rerad only and hidden. i unchecked these then restarted in norm mode but nothings changed.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

gamerchick999

The account is unbelievable. That you presumably paid someone and he attempted to install a new operating system without backing up OR ensuring you had backup of your valuable photographs - pictures.

When I say unbelievable, I do not doubt your account of what occurred, I mean "Did he claim to know what he was doing"

Before we start, what is the make and FULL model of the computer please
    What Windows 7 did you eg Professional, Home Premium etc

and what Windows 8 do you have please

right click computer click properties
    it will tell you on the page that opens, the version of 8

4. Macboatmaster

5. gamerchick999

it's a dell pentium(R). can't find the model name.
    i've tried again to un hide things. this time all of the old win folder but it says i need permission, i click continue and it goes straight to a window saying its got an error. i click ignore and they just keep popping up. is it because i'm using it thru a different windows so it thinks i'm not logged in? i use a user name password.
    cheers

6. Macboatmaster

Please answer the rest of the questions in my post 3
    I appreciate you are eager, but in view of the value you place on these I do not want to suggest anything that may place them at more risk than they are now

Also please follow exactly the advice in the link on post 4 using both methods

WERE IT TO BE ME and in light of the value you place I would make a back up of that folder before you start, in fact it is too late now but whatever were you thinking of running without backups for such valuable in cost terms of those images

7. Macboatmaster

I am signing off shortly

Please read 2 - windows old folder on this link - which when you open it is ISSUE 3 - Windows old- then see 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670#method31

there are other ways to do this by altering permission but if you get that wrong, you could have real problems

WARNING - ON no account run disk cleanup if that folder is checked in error - Windows Old Folder - the lot has then GONE

8. gamerchick999

hello. sorry, mis read some of it. think i had win7 pro and it's been upgraded to win8 pro. dl'd the program fixer thing off that link and used it and it said the problems of access were fixed etc, but i tried getting my files again and it still says i need permission. BUT i did go back into safe mode and copied them onto my flashdrive and now have the main photos on my laptop! panick over but still have a load of other stuff on my pc that i want. there's got to be a way of 'convincing' the bloody thing to take the bouncers off the door :)
    and yes, the guy was a bloody joke. wish i knew about you guys before :(
    cheers again

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you copy the remaining needed files using Safe Mode? If so, it may be far simpler and easier and quicker to just do that instead of attempting a "good" fix.

10. Rearden

Rearden Banned

11. Macboatmaster

Rearden

unfortunately NO
    from the opening post.

gamerchick999
    Re take ownership, mentioned by my colleague Rearden, this is also referred to in the link I sent on post 7, when I said

If you need to go down that route, be careful, it is easy to get it wrong. If you do that PLEASE ENSURE you keep a record of each step you make, so that if it does not work you can retrace those steps - exactly

What please is
    the other stuff you want

12. Macboatmaster

gamerchick999

Just wondered, how you went on with this?
    An update would be appreciated.
    When you get chance.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!