1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emigrating to Canada

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Peaker, Feb 5, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. Peaker

Peaker Thread Starter

Hi all,

My wife and have decided we have finally had enough of the UK and are emigrating to Canada.

Our application is in and I am currently job hunting. We can't wait.

We have a question though that I hope some of you guys can help with.

We will no doubt have to rent a property for a while after moving over while we look for a place to buy. One problem is is that we have 3 Maine Coons (cats...big cats).

Do you guys know if most landlords ban pets in rented places? Or are most landlords flexible?

Also do you guys know any good websites where I can look at properties to rent?

Thanks,

Peaker.

2. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Canada is a vast country so it would be a help to know what area you intend to hang your hat.

3. Peaker

Peaker Thread Starter

Hi there,

Really anywhere I can get a job!!!

We're really looking at Toronto and surrounding ares just now. Although Calgary would be nice.

Thanks,

Peaker.

4. ACA529

ACA529

Toronto homes are extremely expensive, so I wouldn't recommend going there first. Calgary would be a good choice, or Winnipeg (come visit me!). :p

5. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Calgary would not be a good choice right now. With the explosion of the employment situation in Alberta housing is at a premium especially on the rental side. Units are in very big demand and many people are forced to live in shelters because of the shortage.

To answer one of your questions..... Cats. My wife and I moved from the Winnipeg, Manitoba area to the Fraser Valley in BC. We had two cats and thought they would be a problem so we gave one of them up to a cousin. As it turned out the cat wasn't a problem at all. Many rentals allow small pets. One issue you might want to investigate prior to bringing your cats is to see if and for how long they will have to be in quarantine before you can actually have them with you.

As far as a job goes what are you trained to do?

6. Peaker

Peaker Thread Starter

Hi,

There's really 3 things I'm capable of doing job wise.

Pensions Administration
    IT Support (Unix or Windows)
    And I was an Apprentice Electrician when I was younger so a move back to some form of electrical engineering would be good.

7. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I have no experience in any of those fields but what I can tell you is the job market in British Columbia is hot right now and the area doesn't have the housing problems that Alberta has. Rentals are reasonable but to buy is out of this world. Many of your fellow countrymen have made the move to BC because the climate is somewhat close to yours. I can't speak for Toronto except to say I hated the place every time I went there on business or after when I took up long distance truck driving and I would rather live in the US than there. :D Numerous people I have talked to over the years tell me it's a very expensive place to live.

In order for you to get a better grip on things I would suggest you first decide where about you want to live and then ask about or search your concerns based on that.

8. Wiskycoo

Wiskycoo Account Closed

You'll find the housing in both cities you mentions being rather cheap to what you are used too, which will be nice, as the UK pound is worth $2.31 to our dollar right now....BUT it does get cheaper by a whole when you decide to live outside of those two cities..sometimes as much as 150,000 dollars less or in your case 50,000 pounds.

Toronto would be the nicer of the two towns only for the reason you'll get better health care...or rather cheaper I should say as it will be covered by the Ontario Health Card after you have lived here for three months( I think is the wait period before you can apply...might want to check on that though as it's been 20 odd years since I moved here from the UK).

Now if you decide on Toronto, stir clear of the downtown area as it's like the nasty places in Liverpool, if you know what I mean, ;) LOL Chose some place like in Oakville, or cambridge...or if you don't mind driving about an hour or more to work, which BTW WILL be normal no matter where you live in the Toronto area, Hamilton is a pretty place and the housing is cheap there compared to Toronto (comparison house with three bedrooms, brick in Toronto for $350,000+ depending on the area, to Hamilton with the same at $150,000...OR a fixer-upper for $99,000). Oakvilles yours best choice for nicest area around Toronto.

Jobs come easy in Toronto... you'll have no problem finding one and having a lovely accent around here DOES help... they tend to swoon over it like a school-hood crush. :D Rather stupid if you ask me, but hey it works. Calgary will be the same in the job area, maybe even more so, because right now Alberta is in a boom with it's oil industries.... nice place but I didn't care for it.

9. Wiskycoo

Wiskycoo Account Closed

Hey just thought.... Berrie is a nice place to live...it's an hour outside of Toronto. You'll like that area...newer homes and lots of jobs.

10. johnnyburst79

johnnyburst79

11. moonmist

moonmist

dude..........you live in Baltimore......... you have no say here :p

Hi Elsa!!!! *waves*

12. johnnyburst79

johnnyburst79

It could happen. I'd go with Canada over the US any day of the week.

Ok, you win. I will submit to the moonie...direct me as you please ;)

But seriously, good info ;) thanks.

13. wacor

wacor Banned

Name change?? :)

anyway you are right to point out the issue of quarantine. Not sure what the standards are in Canada but in the states I know it can be lenghty.

As to moving to Winnipeg ....................................

Weather Forecast for Winnipeg, Canada

Currently: -22°F
    -13°F | -28°F

That is farenheit !!!!! :eek: :eek:

14. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Yup.......... got tired of fighting with nitwits about it. ;)
    I have lived in all 4 western provinces and visited all the others on numerous occasions. I finally moved back to BC and told my wife if I ever mention moving to another province she is to shoot me without any warning. I must admit I would like to try the east coast because of it's beauty and very friendly people but Ontario and Quebec get in the way.

15. wacor

wacor Banned

I figured that had to be you or somebody stole the avatar from you.

Ontario has some very friendly people. See them once or twice a year at the Windsor Ballett.:p :p :) :)

Woke up to minus -5 F today and never get used to that. (n)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice