1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Emperor:Battle for Dune

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darth Mejar, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darth Mejar

Darth Mejar Thread Starter

I have emperor battle for dune and it keeps crashing. Funny thing is theres no message to refer to or problem reference at westwood online answer base. Im really hoping someone here might have a clue.

2. Darth Mejar

I have an Hp 734n Pavilion. it has an AMD2400+ Athlon XP, 512meg ddr sdram, 80 gig hd, nvidia gforce4 mx420 64mg ddr sdram. This is a new machine for me and the same problem is happening as was with my old one.

3. Low Mein

Low Mein

Darth
    I'm a big C&C fan and I like this game a lot, but I finally had to bag it because of problems it was causing with my system: distorted video, crashes, lockups. I was running it on an older Alienware: P4 1.4, 256DDR memory, Nvidia GeForce 3Ti 500. Never figured out what was wrong but decided no $29.99 game was worth that many hassles. Searched online for troubleshooting help and there isn't much there, not even in forums. Apparently it doesn't give too many people the same trouble. So there must be something in our systems it doesn't like. My suggestion: move on to Warcraft 3 or Age of Mythology. Great RTS games and rock solid stable.

4. AtreideS

AtreideS

Wait wait wait, don't move on just yet. We may be able to solve this. It could be a conflict of some kind. So lets try and get some more information first.
    What version of DirectX are you using?
    Go to RUN and type 'dxdiag' to bring up DirectX.
    Now go to RUN and type MSINFO32. Select Software Enviroment, and then Startup Programs. It would be helpful if you copy and paste the list here so we can have a look and see if there is anything causing a problem.
    Have you got the latest drivers for your video card?

5. Darth Mejar

There couldn't be a conflict with any background apps. this system is 5 days old. With all the updates to current as possible. However i also disagree that i should just move on to a new game. It does work for a while but these crashes are ridiculous and the fact westwood has nothing better to do than send me run-around e-mails saying copy an easy info diag. to the e-mail is downright irritating. Obviously more people besides me have this odd problem which means they should take me more seriously. And yes their troubleshoot answer base is crap for this game. No decent crash questions asked, or answered. I have a k6-2 and it crashes? That is over 3.5 years old of a processor. That is the most specific question they answer? What about my computer, or even my old one. I had a 900mhz athlon with 256mg sdram and a geforce4 ti4400. Same problem but no answer worth my time. If you can help stop the crashes you should apply to westwood and replace their current techs who obviously like stupid questions they can answer by saying, "have you got current drivers? Try that then get back to us." I want to beat their system of sloppy support and if you can help i will give this sight my highest commendation to it and the people who service it. :)

6. Low Mein

Low Mein

Darth
    Sorry I wasn't able to offer anything more constructive. I went through what you're going through: Yeah it's a conflict, but with what? My computer was brand new and a burner for its time; drivers and directX were up to date and installing and reinstalling drivers, directX and the game didn't fix the problems. Running it at different resolutions and different video and sound configurations didn't fix it either. I ran out of ideas and as you found out Westwood, whose tech support was never anything to write home about, is now completely useless that they route everything through EA. In fact I fixed a distorted monitor image problem that persisted for months (trapezoid and pincushion out of whack every time I restarted the computer no matter how often I reset the monitor controls) by deleting Emperor from my system. That's why I gave up on the game. I've battled to make games work and had success so hang in there. Maybe somebody has an idea.
    good luck

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!