1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Empire Earth not starting on XP system

Discussion in 'Games' started by Emplehoffer, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emplehoffer

Emplehoffer Thread Starter

This is a very odd problem and I can't find any instance on the Net of it. I have two systems. both running XP Pro.

System 1:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Athlon XP 2400+
    Kingston 512MB PC2700
    PNY Verto GeForce 3 64MB Ti500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

System 2:

MSI KT-133A
    Athlon XP1800+
    512MB
    Hercules Prophet GeForce 2 MX 32MB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Empire Earth runs fine on System 1, but on System 2 it will install okay, and when I try to launch it, the EE menu and music comes up. When I select "Play Empire Earth" the menu disappears but nothing starts. It just stays on the desktop. I have noticed by opening the Task Manager that "empire.exe" loads, then after about 4 or 5 seconds just disappears from the processes. Thinking it could be a CD drive problem, I have also tried mounting the game image using a virtual drive in Alcohol 120%. Same results.

I've tried different graphics driver versions (running same on both systems) and there's no change. DirectX 9 is also on both systems. I have run SpySweeper but it doesn't help. I have also installed all the XP updates.

Anyone heard of this before?

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

is system 2 up to the minimum system requirments for the game??

3. Emplehoffer

Emplehoffer Thread Starter

Well, I posted System 2's specs, but perhaps you don't know what the game requires. Empire Earth has pretty minimal requirements for games today. I believe they're something like a Pentium 350MHz with 64MB RAM and a video card with 8MB.

System 2 has an Athlon XP 1800+ with 512MB RAM and a 32MB GeForce 2 video card.

And actually, after making that post, I tried it on System 1 and it's doing the same thing although it worked about a week ago.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/153352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice