1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Employer monitoring data usage

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Steve1900, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve1900

Steve1900 Thread Starter

Hello there, so i've been working at this company for a few weeks now it has over 500 employees. I recently connected my personal phone to their wifi, i didnt put in a username, just a password. My question is, is it possible for the IT to monitor my activity on my cell phone? And would they be able to identify me through my cell phone or it will be ambiguous for them? Thank you

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

All network devices have a MAC address that uniquely identifies it. When you connect to WiFi, it takes that MAC address and keep it, and give you an ip address. So if necessary they can find you.

Many companies use a proxy server that records and filters web content. They can see where you went to, and use the MAC address to identify you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice