1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EMS Memory and Old Game

Discussion in 'Games' started by WingRider, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

I recently reinstalled an old game I've had that requires EMS Memory. I have Windows 98, and I have been able to run the game before. Now, however, it won't let me allocate any EMS memory (Command.sys line "emm386.exe" has parameter NOEMS.) When I removed the parameter, though, the computer wigged out. I could recognise my wallpaper, but it was blurred, there were no icons, and the login was invisible. I could type the password, and it made the windows startup noise, but nothing else changed. The mouse pointer is completely normal, as well. I restarted in safe mode, put the NOEMS back in the command.sys, and it booted regularly. I tried one more time, and now it starts normally. However, when I try to run the game, it say "Reconfigure hardware options" Help, please!

2. ohheck

ohheck

try using memmaker-
    if it still messes up your normal boot then create a boot disk for the game with the memmaker settings applied

[change attached file extension to ZIP :]

Attached Files:

3. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

Okay. Thank you. Normally, it appears memmaker would have fixed the problem. However, I ran the game, and it still gave me the "reconfigure hardware options". Is there a way to do just that? I think memmaker fixed any other problems I was having.

4. ohheck

ohheck

what game?

5. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

I don't think it matters, but master of magic.

6. ohheck

ohheck

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

8. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

I don't think it has anything to do with the game in particular anymore. I THINK I returned the command.com to its original state, but it didn't do this originally.

9. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

Okay. First: I've been editing config.sys, and saying something else the entire time.

Second: I've discovered that ANY alteration of the file causes the program to simply tell me : "reconfigure hardware options". I returned it to its original state, and ran memmaker, and it gave me that message. Why would it be doing this and how do I fix it?

10. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

Okay. I'm an idiot. The message means to reconfigure hardware options WITHIN THE GAME!!! Thanks for the help, though.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice