1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enable /disable Lan connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gaurav2004, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaurav2004

gaurav2004 Thread Starter

I use my Win Vista laptop at home and the office.

I use wifi at home and wired lan at the office. My laptop does have any settings in the TCP/IP properties. Everything is at default.

Every time I I try to use it at the office I have to disable and reenable the Lan connection from Manage networks, otherwise I do not get Net connectivity (except local lan).

No problem at home.

Since everything is default it picks up my IP from DHCP and gets other settings same way.

Why do I have to Disable and Enable the Lan connection before it starts accessing the Net.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you put the laptop to Sleep or Hibernation before disconnecting the cable that may the cause. Try disconnecting the cable first.

The adapter/computer may not be "signing off" the network properly. Make sure you have the latest ethernet driver.

If the laptop is not rebooted from one day to the next, and
    the work router or server is reset while the laptop is away, and
    the lease time is long enough for the computer to think it still deserves the "old" IP, then that is a problem. Ask the network administrator to shorten the lease time, or shut down when you transport the machine, or live with your work around.

3. gaurav2004

gaurav2004 Thread Starter

I will check on the lease time and also get the latest ethernet driver (although I think my Dell laptop maybe doing it automatically)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!