1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enable Hardware Virtualization?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lbyler, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lbyler

lbyler Thread Starter

Let me set up my situation:
    I am running a Lenovo laptop that I just recently upgraded from Vista Home premium x64 to Win 7 Pro x64. The custom install came off with no glitches; however I am very disappointed to find that I cannot turn on hardware virtualization using the BIOS setup program (Phoenix 15CN34WW V. 2.07) that Lenovo offers. This in spite of the fact that I had verified the processor (intel p8600) supports virtualization. The main reason for investing in Win 7 Pro was to be able to run XP mode and VM in order to use some older x32 bit programs that I sorely miss. Before the upgrade, I had used Sun Micro's Virtual Box (Free) with no problems at all.. worked like a charm.

My Question:
    Do you know of any way I can turn on hardware virtualization on this machine? 3 calls to Lenovo tech support finally ended in a candid admission by a supervisor that they do not know how to solve the problem... Phoenix passes responsibility to Lenovo etc.. Microsoft doesn't offer any help...:eek:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It doesn't matter if the processor supports virtualization. What matters is if the OEM customized hardware provided by Lenovo supports it. That compatibility lies solely with Lenovo. If they don't support it, there's nothing you can do to change that.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So the option is in the bios?

4. lbyler

lbyler Thread Starter

The option is not in the BIOS... evidently Sun Micro's Virtual box and VMware's virtualization do not depend on hardware settings as they both ran seamlessly in tests before the upgrade to win7. I was not aware that Microsofts virtualization software depends on hardware settings in order to run and so... another Gotcha!

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

XP Mode rely's on the hardware to VM capable.

You can still run Virtual PC on Windows 7. You just need to load your own version of Windows XP into the VM.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!