1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enable Transparency box is gone!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mike6623, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike6623

mike6623 Thread Starter

Okay, I messed up and followed some stupid peoples advice on how to tweak and disabled transparency, now, my task bar it white and everything looks old. The main thing is when I go to personaization, there is no option to enable transparancy and aero themes are greyed out. I followed some advice on microsoft sites, did some enabling services and registry things, but it is still not there. I cannot even restore to an earlier time because it says a restore piint hasn't been set. I actually JUST upgraded to professional right before I did this.
    So the problem is the "enable transparency" box is not there. Any help would be great.

2. pip22

pip22

Without knowing what you "tweaked" and altered to get rid of transparency, it's difficult to help.
    Is reinstalling Windows an option?

I know it's not going to help now, but Windows 7 allows you to make a complete system image backup before making any potentially disastrous changes to the Windows shell. Too bad you apparently didn't know that.

3. mike6623

mike6623 Thread Starter

All I did was make some services go from auto to disabled. I didn't delete anything, and no a restore isn't an option at this point. I tried to do a restore to an earlier time, but I did this immediately after upgrading to 7 professional. this is a list of SOME of the things I disabled. I didn't do it to all of them, but Ihave acutally went in and set them back to auto, so I am stuck

1. Application Experience
    2. Computer Browser (If your PC does not connect to any network)
    3. Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (If you don’t want the aero effects)
    4. Diagnostic Policy Service
    5. Distributed Link Tracking Client
    6. IP Helper
    7. Offline Files
    8. Portable Device Enumerator Service
    9. Print Spooler (If you do not use Printer)
    10. Protected Storage
    11. Remote Registry (You can safely disable it for more Security)
    12. Secondary Logon
    13. Security Center
    14. Server (If your computer do not connect with any network)
    15. Tablet PC Input Service
    16. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    17. Themes ( If you want any aero and good visual appearence (classic theme will be applied))
    18. Windows Error Reporting Service
    19. Windows Media Center Service Launcher
    20. Windows Search (If you rarely use Windows Search feature )
    21. Windows Time (If you do not want to synchronize system time with internet time automatically)

4. mike6623

mike6623 Thread Starter

Nothing?

5. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

6. mike6623

mike6623 Thread Starter

Will try now and report back, thanks!

7. mike6623

mike6623 Thread Starter

Damn, didn't find any integrity issues. I am stumped

8. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

9. mike6623

mike6623 Thread Starter

Thanks, Yeah, Even with that you need the disk, which I do not have. I only have my anytime upgrade key. That's it. Lost the dvd. I do appreciate the help!

10. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

No problem, mike6623. Hopefully someone will drop in and solve this for you.

Jim

11. mike6623

mike6623 Thread Starter

Okay, I have given up and found a back up disk for premium. So, how do I "downgrade" I tried to insert the premium disk and only asks if I want to upgrade or "custom" which doesn't save my files? I still have the anytime upgrade key, so I assume once I reinstall premium, I can do the upgrade again,. So how to downgrade from pro to premium. All I have now is the premium backup disks

12. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

You need to go back and set Themes to automatic, then start the service to re-enable Aero.

13. mike6623

mike6623 Thread Starter

How do I do that? In the tick boxes, enable transparency is no where to be found!

Also, I have reenabled EVERYTHING and it's the same. Now I cannot figure out how to "downgrade" from pro to premium and I do now have the premium disk, theh I will anytime upgrade again, if I can ever get there!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041788