1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Enabling Display Adapter leads to startup crash

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Shafski, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shafski

Shafski Thread Starter

Mar 19, 2008
    Well a while back, I ran an avi file on my computer which wouldn't run due to lack of some codecs. I then installed said codecs from a reliable website, and the video was running fine. Then suddenly after a bit the sound went all crazy like a broken record, and my computer got a BSOD. Since then, whenever I start up my computer, I will get forced into a startup repair loop. Occasionally it will load the login screen, whereby I log in, but then after a while of everything being fine (like 2 minutes) suddenly the colours distort and my screen goes blank, where I have to force a manual restart.

This problem never re-occured in safe mode. I played around a bit to see if I could find out whats wrong, disabling some startup programmes and stuff. I then disabled my display adapter which I've been using for 2 years, and bam, my computer loaded up fine normally.

However, the lack of display adapter means I can't play the games I want to play, or watch movies I want to watch, which renders my computer useless for the summer holidays because now that I've completed college I really get bored and my computer is usually my source of entertainment.

Any ideas?

Edit : I tried updating the display driver from the device manager but it says its the latest version.
  2. Lozzy-loz

Feb 5, 2010
    Just a thought sometime the latest display drivers can cause problems.Try using the roll back driver feature in the device manager and see if the previous driver causes the same problems.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058791